Whataya do with the crotches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using an ax or maul that way works too, Joe.

People really do that?!?

:)

I do but not on knots/crotches. Split manually until the 'to be split pile' gets too big and switch to the hydraulic. It's part of my 'use it or lose it' physical fitness reqime. I cut 10 - 14 cord a year and don't need any of it so I sell what I can to keep the inventory down around 80-100 cord.

I do the same but split it through the crotch. That will usually split it right down the "seam". If too crooked to stack decent it goes on my 'ugly' pile (shorts, longs, crooks, knots, etc). That is usually the first stuff I burn in the fall.

Knots and crotches are usually the densest and best burning parts of a tree and I don't waste them.

That crotch wood we call around here chunk wood. Cut the good wood above and below the crotch for splitting and I have a stack of chunks. I use it to keep a good fire going overnight, that stuff is super dense and a nice long burn

No woodturning guild or woodturner around to collect the 'uglies' and turn them into something beautiful?

Attachments

• IMG_20150418_114239.jpg
    IMG_20150418_114239.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 21
Back