What's on you're bench? 06/14/2013

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacks of saws, but I am not working in the greenhouse right now, nuts, too hot. In this heat, kitchen table "bench" currently an old, real old glenfield/marlin 60, a friends. He is as old as I am and was his first shooter. it's whipped! Soaked in grunge, never cleaned, plus, he doesn't want to throw parts/money at it, not much anyway. me, if it was mine, who cares, first gun, would want it back perfect.

. Everything is just slap worn out, so rearranging the (I guess zinc) pot metal feed throat and lifter assembly, cleaning filing and poliishing everything, etc. Was a non runner, came with an (old..eek) live jam. Eventually after two courses of cleaning and tweaking got it to feed a whole tube as long as the first one goes in, that's where I am stuck. Not enough metal left to do much....old style parts not much there, could upgrade two more generations to all new and improved, plus some fitting action, but would be, well, more than it is worth in parts, let alone my time (no bucks, just friendship and maybe he will swap me something..). Hmmm..I want to make it work well though, so most likely keep at it.

I *want* to get to my 346xp project though, but that will wait, this marlin, then one winnie 1200 for another friend. that's an ancient rust bucket, sat and got rusty like 30 years or something.

I found this Craftsman saw last week at work. Took it home, drained the gas and tore apart the carb to clean. Got everything back together and got the saw to run but I still need to tune it.

The chain doesn't ever stop spinning even with the idle turned down low and with the chain break on you cannot pull the start rope to start it....is this most likely the clutch?

I don't have any pics but two weeks ago I found a Ryobi weed wacker with an edger attachment that just needed a push button primer, carb cleaned and fresh fuel....this is one of the perks of picking up recycling.

View attachment 300487

I found this Craftsman saw last week at work. Took it home, drained the gas and tore apart the carb to clean. Got everything back together and got the saw to run but I still need to tune it.

The chain doesn't ever stop spinning even with the idle turned down low and with the chain break on you cannot pull the start rope to start it....is this most likely the clutch?

I don't have any pics but two weeks ago I found a Ryobi weed wacker with an edger attachment that just needed a push button primer, carb cleaned and fresh fuel....this is one of the perks of picking up recycling.

View attachment 300487

I would think that is a likely suspect. tons of those saws out there with similar clutches/spur sprockets, etc. generic poulan part. cheap new or look for another junker to rob.

The little 200t got a transplant and it runs :msp_ohmy: also did the carb mod and throttle response seems good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I finished both MS261s and a brand new 390XP found it's way onto the bench. The machine work is done. Hopefully I'll be able to get it ported during the week this week.

IMG_0847-M.jpg

IMG_0870-M.jpg

The finish looks much better in person. Macro photography will do that to you:msp_sad:
IMG_0868-M.jpg

Started with this P39 this morning, just needed a coil which thanks to another member I found I had a bunch here in another saw.

20130616_132219_zps8a160b8d.jpg

Then I threw this on the cart and got it freed up, now I need to pull apart a 1020 for some parts.

20130616_132309_zpsf4871d68.jpg

20130616_132318_zpsef7e4e02.jpg

20130616_135342_zps312cc103.jpg

Right now what's on my bench is a Stihl 028 Super that arrived here in a dishpan in a myriad of pieces. So far I have been through the carb, cleaned out a collection of vintage sawdust grime, tested the impulse hose and re installed that (it had already been removed) the fuel line is new as is the filter (installed by the owner). I should've had it together by now but got called out for an emergency plumbing repair last night. Single mom with 7 daughters broke her whole house filter. So even though I'm not usually a plumber, that is where I was at 10pm. Back at it tomorrow maybe. Right now I am vegging with my son that just arrived from West Point this afternoon. Pretty good father's day present.

026 with new P & C kit w/ impulse line.

Got a parts 034 that I am gonna try and turn into an 034/036 Hybrid.

And 2 Poulans (260 Pro and a 1950 Woodshark) I got for free when I bought the 026 last week. They both run, but want to clean up and look over. :msp_scared:

395XP and Dolamr 5100S are here and deciding now what I really want to do? Was gonna sell the 5100 and keep the 395? May be the other way around.

Also took in my Brother in Laws 021 and 028 to clean and tune up. His 562xp is at the dealer now getting a new computer :(

And a MS 271... Clean, new fuel line, impulse, filter, etc...

Pics tomorrow.

Don't port and do all the crazy stuff the builders here do. But this keeps me busy and out of trouble :wink2:

Last edited:
An 029 super. Need a bearing puller. Think I'm going to put a 039/390 topend on it, and some excessive modification.

Back