What's the deal with the Solo 681 and the Dolmar 7900?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine just got a 7910, (from Steve). He says he really doesn't notice much difference in either power or weight. And that's comparing a fresh 7910 to a couple of broken in 7900's. He does say that the new muff really has a nice sound to it. I'm looking forward to checking it out myself. :msp_thumbup:

681 will have a touch more power and will be softer feeling. You can change out the av to the 7900 springs and make it feel almost like a 7900.

Not sure what you mean by "softer feeling". Does that mean the AV is superior or not?

Not sure what you mean by "softer feeling". Does that mean the AV is superior or not?

The av is so soft you end up on the limiters and it vibrates more. It needs stiffer springs like the 6400/7300/7900.

No problem. If I had one to use as a work saw then I would trade out the av springs first thing.

If I was going to deal with one I would get the 681 for the slight edge in power. They feel funny to me to run with over a 24" bar since the handles are spaced so close together. The huskies have a huge advantage in that regard.

So if it were you, would you take a 681 with Dolmar AV springs or a 7900?

Sounds like the 7900 is better in this country. More reliable, more parts, and HD filter option. If you want more power just have it ported.

Sounds like the 7900 is better in this country. More reliable, more parts, and HD filter option. If you want more power just have it ported.

It probably is the better choice. It seems the loggers and fallers out west have trouble with both in a shorter time than stihl and husky. I used 2 of the 7900s for fire wood and didn't have any trouble but it doesn't take much run time to cut 5 cords up either.

It probably is the better choice. It seems the loggers and fallers out west have trouble with both in a shorter time than stihl and husky. I used 2 of the 7900s for fire wood and didn't have any trouble but it doesn't take much run time to cut 5 cords up either.

Some did, some didn't.
I think personal biases come into play too sometimes, with brands such as Stihl and Toyota having cultivated excellent reputations for reliability and quality that lend themselves to people glossing over problems at times.
Of course that works the other way with some personalities too.
It doesn't help that they look and feel different either, and I'm guessing in the timber game people by nature are mostly conservative, and as you've found the balance is quite a bit different with longer bars.

The broken AV spring was one thing that seemed to crop up regularly early on, but if you were a business owner you'd be having a serious little chat to someone that continually destroyed springs on your saws.
Some blokes are just rough on equipment too, and will kill anything. The local chainsaw/mower/OPE repairer used to be a plant mechanic at a nearby quarry and he was telling a me a few stories about a couple of characters like that yesterday. One bloke would even destroy gear in and on the crusher, let alone wheeled and tracked stuff.

A while back I asked Andy/redprospector why he was giving up his tribe of 7900's he used for his team in New Mexico and it came down to the simple fact they were due (can't remember how many years service) and he wasn't replacing them with same as the old Dolmar dealer had gone and the new dealer wasn't worth a pinch of poop (my words, paraphrasing his)

His current Husky dealer was much the same, so he was going to Stihl for the first time in a long time, purely as the dealer was very good, and in a production environment you want a saw fixed now

He has a real soft spot for the 7900, reckoned it had been an excellent production saw for him and he kept his 7900 race saw.

Last edited:
What defines a pro logger, sawyer or tree care professional?? Most have zero certification, stating any form of training or education whatsoever. I don't want to say that training in the field doesn't mean anything or it can't work, but far too often I see bad training being passed on generation after generation.

Now I have no experience with loggers, but the tree removal operations I have done work for are a bunch of idiots and I'm being kind when I say this. The brand or model of saw means nothing, especially when you see the way they use, misuses and abuse their equipment. I have a Stihl HT 101 pole saw from them that has a badly bent shaft, the owner didn't even get a straight answer as to what caused the damage to a $600 piece of equipment. I honestly don't think the owner is smart enough to even care.

What defines a pro logger, sawyer or tree care professional?? Most have zero certification, stating any form of training or education whatsoever. I don't want to say that training in the field doesn't mean anything or it can't work, but far too often I see bad training being passed on generation after generation.

Now I have no experience with loggers, but the tree removal operations I have done work for are a bunch of idiots and I'm being kind when I say this. The brand or model of saw means nothing, especially when you see the way they use, misuses and abuse their equipment. I have a Stihl HT 101 pole saw from them that has a badly bent shaft, the owner didn't even get a straight answer as to what caused the damage to a $600 piece of equipment. I honestly don't think the owner is smart enough to even care.

Right, I am very sceptical at the opinion of so called professionals, as they tend to just stick with what works for them, and are reluctant to try alternatives.....;)

I have no horse in this race, but if one or another brand is lasting longer in the same heavy hands of those who could break an anvil, then one could sumise they are tougher built???

Its a damn shame that Solo and Dolmar didnt take the bull by the horns and dig deep into logging country. This would have ment spending time on the ground and seeing the re-occouring problems and adressing them. They have even got Stihl as a business model so dont have to re event the wheel there...

there motors where strong for power, they just needed some little things taken care of. Oiler adjustment screw is on little stupid thing that comes to mind.

Back