What's your best cure for PI??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I seem to carry a few Poison Ivy blisters most of the year... nothing too bad, just some minor spots here 'n' there, mostly on the forearms. This time is different, I've got them on my forehead, scalp, back of the neck, left arm, left hand palm, left leg, and on top of the left foot. Darn stuff is driving me friggin' crazy and it seems to be spreading... gettin' to the point where I'm startin' to feel a bit sick from it.

In the past I've used bleach applied with a rough rag with good results... but scrubbin' ½ my body with bleach ain't all that appealing. So what's your best cure?? Something I can use on the face/neck/scalp and other more "tender" spots of the body.

At the risk of TMI, the worst case I ever had, I got in the summer on a friend's ranch. I was cutting and handling wood which had previously had vines on it but I didn't pay attention and somewhere along the line I visited a tree to take a leak. You can guess from there. I had it from the soles of my feet to my scalp and every imaginable nook and crevice in between. Oatmeal baths, Tecnu, cortisone cream and Collagel help but ultimately I had to get a cortisone shot. That did the trick in about 4 days (after having had it for about a week in pure misery), prior to the start of Freshman year of high school... Otherwise denatured rubbing alcohol works as well, but burns like a XXXX! Best of luck, as I've felt your pain. I've never had it that bad subsequently and I think I have either developed a tolerance for it or anti-bodies, whichever it is that might help...

Zanfel or Tecnu Extreme work for me. During the peak of the PI season, I keep a tube in the shower and hit the usual spots when I know I've been in contact with PI as preventive maintenance. Even after blisters have started forming, if I scrub with it, it'll usually stop itching within a couple of hours and dry up and disappear after a couple of days. It ain't cheap, but for me it is very effective.

I used the poison ivy cream from wal mart. It worked ok. Now, every summer when the staghorn sumac berries get ripe (they get a dust on them) I make a tea out of the berries and I have not had a poison ivy in over 3 years even though I am exposed nearly every day. This is my secret, so tell anyone.:)

The problem with PI is even if you "don't get" poison ivy, the more you are exposed to it the worse it will get. And if you don't get it now, your body's immunity will break down eventually.

As a kid, i got it like everyone else, but now it runs like wildfire on me. None of the lotions or over the counter things work for me anymore. As soon as I see it, I have to go to the doctors and get a prescription for steroids. This is the only thing that knocks it out.

As for relief, I have found if you can run as hot of water as you can stand over the infected are for 3-4 minutes, you will get 3-4 hours of relief from the itching.

Good luck, and Don't Itch!

10-4 on the HOT Water. It will knock out the itch for a while.
It will Itch like all get out as soon as you blast it with the hot water.... But just keep at it.
After a bit the itch will go away. This truely require AS HOT AS YOU CAN STAND water.

I get eat up with it. Have learned "I Hope" to avoid it.
Sumac Berry Tea.... I have that from time to time. Never put two and two together with the PI.

David

I've never heard of Tecnu before, but a search shows Tecnu Extreme on sale at my local Walmart (clearance for $7.20 per tube).
I may just drive the 30 miles and buy all they have left‼

I've been taking HOT showers the last few mornings, that gets me through until 'bout noon... and then it starts gettin' somewhat unbearable. That's when I start rubbin' it with denatured alcohol (keep it at work fore cleaning electronics).

+1 on the Technu for washing soon after you know you have been exposed. +1 on Zanfel for post exposure it itches like crazy. And how did I get it there? Zanfel isn't cheap but you would pay the devil to make it stop when it's bad. I keep a tube of both around.

I used the poison ivy cream from wal mart. It worked ok. Now, every summer when the staghorn sumac berries get ripe (they get a dust on them) I make a tea out of the berries and I have not had a poison ivy in over 3 years even though I am exposed nearly every day. This is my secret, so tell anyone.:)
Really?o_O

I don't touch it with anything. If I get a rash, I just ignore it (as in no scratching, rubbing, creams, anything) until I get the chills, the chills are a good sign that you are almost there. After a bit the chills go away and little to no itch and it dries up. I stopped using any other sort of treatment, never did find any home ready or store remedy that worked.

For itch, hot shower or run area under hot water as hot as you can take it. Will stop itching for a few hours. Mean Green hand cleaner has a chemical composition that sticks to the urushiol oil in PI. It's also has that sandy texture like Fast Orange or other auto mechanic hand cleaners, so it's great for grease/oil. I use it right after work outside, I keep it by the shower and do my legs and arms. It's the same formula as that expensive Poison Ivy soap, but much cheaper (Buy it instead of zanfel), I bought the 60.5 Oz tub for $30. For bad case or itch, I use Quadriderm cream which has a steroid, anti-fungal, and antibiotic in it.

"A new over-the-counter lotion is available for about 8 times the cost of calamine. Your pharmacy probably carries a box or two of the new “Z” lotion for more than $40, still cheaper than a doctor’s appointment although even the Mayo Clinic web site suggests that most poison ivy is self treatable. So are there any new self treatments that don’t cost an arm and a leg (no puns here)?

The urushiol oil in poison ivy is the cause of our allergies. That is probably why harsh soaps have been used in the past to wash away the oil. There is anecdotal evidence among sufferers that a particular hand degreaser is extremely effective in removing that oil while soothing your poison ivy. Without going into poly-bead scrubbers and the efficacy of ethoxylate and sodium lauroyl sarcosinate in Mean Green Power Hand Scrub, it is a product you will wish you had in the medicine chest because it is not necessarily available locally."

http://www.examiner.com/article/poison-ivy-beware-outdoor-enthusiasts-and-gardeners

"I’ll vouch for the Mean Green claims.
After learning about Zanfel years ago and experiencing that it worked, one of my fellow chemists and I pulled their MSDS and patent application to see if we could reverse engineer it easily (since it’s absurdly expensive). Much to our happy enjoyment the patent application, #20020183284, was obligated to refer to Mean Green which is highly similar in terms of active ingredient composition (ratios of ingredients differ). Rather than continue in our effort to reverse engineer the product, we have simply started purchasing direct from the company that markets Mean Green.
Mean Green = low cost Zanfel. Save your cash, buy a 4 – pack of 64 ounce tubs of the mean green handcleaner with scrubbies and use it extensively after landscaping, yard work, hiking, etc."

http://www.hanskellner.com/2003/04/25/poison-oak-treatment-zanfel-ingredients/

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TC286R2N283PFE5C6

McNess Krestol Salve works well. Good for colds, moles and sore... well, you know. ;)

Seriously, I'd never heard of the stuff 'til the SheWolf got a tin of it for around the house. It relieves the itching and aids healing.

Prevention is most important. However, sometimes it's impossible to prevent even when you know it's there.

Speed is next - wash it off as soon as you can. Tecnu, bleach, alcohol, etc. A lot of things seem to work well (and differently for different people), but the whole point is to get the urishol oil off ASAP. You can't just rub it in with these other chemicals. What they do is mix with the oil and help it to be washed away. They won't do much good if you just rub some tecnu on and leave it.

My best advice is to use Tecnu according to the instructions, which say to rub it on for several minutes. Then wash off with cold water. Then I'd recommend you rub it on again, and wash with cold water again. 3rd time use hot water. Why? Cold water will close the pores on your skin, so more of the urishol will stay outside, where you can wash it off. Do this a couple times so you are sure to get as much as you can. Then the hot water will open the pores back up, and the oil already inside can wash out easier. You could also use another chemical in the scrubbing process. I like to use a couple things, not just one. PI is no joke for those of us who are allergic to it.

Don't forget that you can easily get PI from touching something else that has touched PI. Wash your clothing and boots and tools as well. Some suggest washing your clothes a few times by themselves, and then rinse out the washer afterward, so you don't contaminate other clothes. Not a bad idea, but I've never done it, and never had a problem.

If the ivy is on property, buy a goat, that stuff is tough! I feel your pain, almost literally. I get my first breakout in the spring when I start mowing the lawn and have it what seems constantly until fall, and I do try to avoid the stuff. I grew up in the Maine woods and never had a problem with it, came over to New Hampshire and have it perpetually. Tecnu is as good as anything out there, but you have to be on top of it constantly, which is a pain in the butt.

One of the guys on our team takes vitamin c until he gets diarrhea. Says it works for him. Me personally, I take a couple Benadryl as soon as I know I've been exposed. So far so good. Before that, I just dealt with it until it was bad enough for a steroid injection. Not fun.

For prevention - Oral Ivy + long sleeves

Cure? No cure, but Ivarest from Walmart helps a LOT to dry it up.

What he said ^^^ about Oral Ivy stuff. And long sleeves.

It's apparently urushiol diluted with alcohol, in a "drip" bottle, ~$10 from Amazon.
For prevention, 3-5 drops in 1/4 glass of water daily by mouth for 7-14 days before exposure. Continue a/r. It works.
For treatment, 10 drops in 2 ounces of water every 2 hrs as needed. Place liquid under tongue. Less frequently as things improve. Really tames the misery, in seconds.

Obviously much better beforehand than after exposure.

Latest posts

Back