Wheel Came Off Chipper - Need Lug Bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can-Do-It

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Going to a job Thursday morning on the interstate in my chip-truck with whisper chipper in tow. I hit a bump in the road or thought I did. But something told me to pullover and check. Boy was I surprised!

The driver side tire/rim on the chipper was gone :confused: I mean gone gone. Chipper sitting on the hub. All Lug bolts sheared off even with the hub.

I look back down the road and there is my tire and rim leaning against the center road divider.

No other cars/trucks were hit. This tire/rim went across 3 lanes of traffic.:dizzy:

Was the Good Lord watching out for me or not .......

Help: I need your Help in locating lug bolts for a 1998 whisper chipper (chuck and duck).

Thanks in advance for you'all's help,

Knock one out from the other side and take it to an auto parts store and match it up. Make sure to buy a new one for one you take out as well!
Easy enough?

Sawinredneck,

I've looked. I went to 4 differant places and no one had the correct or any thing close. The lugs need to be 2 3/4 long, 1/2 bolt size, fine thead, with a knurl of 550 to 552. I called Altec late Friday evening no help as yet. The Altec North Carolina plant/office was closed. But the guy I talked to was located some were in the mid-west and thought that they didn't stock them. They didn't show up on his master parts list. :cry:

Thank You - Sawinredneck

Sawinredneck,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mr. Sawinredneck. :clap:

Your a scholar and gentleman ..... but I won't tell anyone.

Thank you again,

Napa Auto Parts..

Have had amazing luck with them and strange parts...if they cant get there hands on it...then i dont think any of the auto part companies can

Just my thought

Nuts !

At this time you could go with any thread that's available as they all sheared. Keep the length and diameter of course but the rest is up to what's available, unless you've already paid for the tow truck.

napa is usally pretty good on getting parts. our local napa here will bend over backwards to locate parts for the customer. have you tried a company that sells aftermarket wheels and tires. might be worth a try. good luck

napa is usally pretty good on getting parts. our local napa here will bend over backwards to locate parts for the customer. have you tried a company that sells aftermarket wheels and tires. might be worth a try. good luck

Ya...my local Napa does the same..they are great, dont get me wrong i like the other shops...but hey never been wrong with Napa..

Ya i think you have a real good idea going all the local tire shops...if they dont have it they might have the insight on where to look

Good Luck

columbia is a pretty big town... go to a big auto/truck parts dealer... not a pep boys or auto zone type of place...look in the phone book,,call around,,, a really good parts place should have them in stock,,

Good Morning All,

Going to a job Thursday morning on the interstate in my chip-truck with whisper chipper in tow. I hit a bump in the road or thought I did. But something told me to pullover and check. Boy was I surprised!

The driver side tire/rim on the chipper was gone :confused: I mean gone gone. Chipper sitting on the hub. All Lug bolts sheared off even with the hub.

I look back down the road and there is my tire and rim leaning against the center road divider.

No other cars/trucks were hit. This tire/rim went across 3 lanes of traffic.:dizzy:

Was the Good Lord watching out for me or not .......

Help: I need your Help in locating lug bolts for a 1998 whisper chipper (chuck and duck).

Thanks in advance for you'all's help,

just re read the date you posted,, it happened thursday!!!! that thing should have been fixed by now !!!! go to this site www.dormanproducts.com/ ,, go to "wheel hard ware" ,, go to wheel studs,,, go through the items and find a match,, then call them to find a local dealer....most large auto/tuck parts places carry this line...LETS GO!!!! WE'RE NOT MAKING MONEY SITTING ON OUR BUTT!!!! worst case have them over night them to you.....

Make sure you have the nuts/bolts torqued to the proper specs. When you get lug bolts shearing like that they were usually overtightend.

Latest posts

Back