When Homelite Built Quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started as Homelite dealer in 1951 and grew up with Homelite. Will share my favorite story in our many years (to 2003) with Homelite. In August 1963 our salesman Fats Herbert from the Cincinnati branch showed us an XL-12 proto type and was taking orders. It was so different from anything manufactured before that time. My husband told the salesman we would take 50 units if received by October 1st. Take off one unit everday later than Oct 1. On Oct 4th they called and said they had them in so we took 47 - XL-12s. We had a Buick station wagon at the time and we were able to get them all in that vehnicle..)A few had to be taken out of the box !!! There were a few things that were unique with the first XL-12s. They are 1. the plug is different and the sparky is flat. 2. The fuel filter in the tank is a big felt filter on the side and gas comes out of the bottom on the side of the tank. (I changed most of the first 47 and many more other dealers had sold) 3. The muffler was the open and didn't do much to quiet the noise. (They were later changed due to gov't regulations. All of the first 47 began with the serial number 150 etc. I would like to know the serial number of your saw (as it fits all of the above ). I have been unable to locate any earlier number on an XL-12.
chainsawlady

Great info. There were a few more features unique to the early XL12/XL15 saws. The failure-prone 'button type' starter housing, as seen in the pics of the saw Randy linked to below is the most notable. I have an XL12 and a Super XL12 that look just like the OP's saw (blue/white, with red/white model graphics on the starters, and the newer style starter housing), and an XL15 that looks like the XL12 Randy linked to (with the 'button-type' starter cover and black/white graphics on the starter) except it's red/white and has the "XL15" model designation of course. All three of my saws have the felt pad fuel pickup with the tube coming out of the side of the tank. My XL12 is SN 2099823. My Super XL12 is SN 1801715. My XL15 is SN 1614611. Homelite also switched to a larger clutch and clutch bearing at SN 1735838.

This is a very early one!! See the all black lettering.

Vintage 1964 Homelite XL-12 chainsaw that works great! | eBay

Here's a few pics RandyMac took of my XL15:

offbrands004-1.jpg

offbrands003-1.jpg

offbrands002-1.jpg

offbrands005.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back