When is the best time to cut firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a common question, but the search isn't working.

I know the obvious seasons to cut firewood is cooler weather. I like to cut it all year round, but during the warmer months I only cut wood if its in danger of being wasted. We do a lot of clearing with dozers so anytime I get a chance to save some wood before it gets buried in a brush pile I'm excited. My dad doesn't give you much chance to get any cut, I've seen more quality wood wasted than most could dream about.

My question is though, due to sap, is it better to cut a tree after the leaves fall off, or in the dead of winter? Is there a time when a green tree is less green?

What do loggers like, when is the best time for them to cut logs?

The old timers around here claim if you cut a tree when the signs are right the sap will be low and it will dry a lot quicker. The very same old timers say if you cut pine when the signs are right you can burn it just like oak or any other hardwood and the sap will be a non issue.

The best time to cut wood is when you have the time to cut it and it is there to be cut!

I know what you mean about clearing, piling and burning, too. I've been helping my cousin clear this summer. I've watched enough wood burned this summer to last me the rest of my life. Thankfully, most of it was cottonwood. The good stuff either went to the sawmill or firewood, though.

We have a dozing business, and my dad pushes for efficiency and trying to get a job done as fast as he can for a client, when dozer rate is 180-200 dollars an hour. Leaves little time for trying to save a tree for firewood unless the client requests it.
Even on our own farm dad likes to push it all away. About once a year when things are slower we'll go out and log up some firewood in an area he is clearing and we will haul it in for splitting.

Our neighbor though has a bulldozer also, and he only uses it for his own farm, he just retired from his job and time is no issue for him. He saves every good wood tree he can for us, and he doesn't even burn wood.

The old timers around here claim if you cut a tree when the signs are right the sap will be low and it will dry a lot quicker. The very same old timers say if you cut pine when the signs are right you can burn it just like oak or any other hardwood and the sap will be a non issue.

Burning pine like hardwood would be nice. The only pines we have around here are ornamental, there is no shortage of hardwoods here.

Sugar, water and sap will be higher in the tree in the beginning of spring into summer as the tree is coming out of dormancy, then it wanes towards fall and to it's lowest levels in winter. So spring/summer the water, sugar, and sap in going up, and fall the water, sugar, and sap in on its way down. I assume this has something to do with the water not freezing and tearing the tree up in the winter. I have asked several trees but so far this is a very guarded secret amongst trees.

Once the leaves fall off, that's it, as dry as that standing tree is going to get, plus as light as it is going to get until it is split and stacked. On the ground anytime then is cool. Don't wait until the late winter/ earlyspring sap rising time.

Here, my main criteria is access and mud, I have to get trees/wood out when it is dry enough to do so. Typically mid summer to early fall. It is only the last week it has gotten dry enough here for me to work wood, but mowing has to come first.

With that said, it doesn't matter, whenever you can get to the wood works.

Sometimes in the summer when it is still wet I will walk in and fell some, then come back whenever I can and buck it up and haul it out, but lately I have so much quality standing dead I haven't had to do any live trees.

I like to cut up trees that don't have leaves on them, I do it in late fall early winter. Though most of my wood has come from me felling them but from me cutting them into firewood length.

When's the best time to cut firewood you ask...when the landowners aren't home. :msp_w00t:

Best time to cut is 6 months before you need fire.
6 months won't cut it for the very dense wood though so cut it at the same time you start burning this year and at the same time next year it will be ready.

After the leaves are off the tree and until early spring the wood is driest it will be in green format.
Cutting wood in the fall and winter will dry much slower than cutting wood in spring and summers heat.
So in fact wood cut at it's driest will take the longest to dry and wood cut at it's wettest will be the fastest to dry.

Whood a figured :)

I am a firm believer in doing it whenever you can. My problem, it seems to have been the wettest summer we've had in quite a while. I like looking/finding dead blowdown locust up on the mountain. The foilage and sting weed hides it until things get cold though. Do what you can when you can.

Shea

I prefer cutting after the leaves are gone in fall. It's easier to gauge lean and any potential hazards in bare trees. The rounds are easier to pick up as well. :)

I cut wood when I find it. With that said, I like to cut firewood when the leaves are in full folage. Cut the tree down and leave it for a few wks before limbing. It just seems to me the wilting leaves will draw most of the moisture out of the tree if done that way. Someone somewhere disputed this with a bunch of scientific explainations why it dont work that way, but it seems to work for me.

I cut year round. I prefer early spring before everything greens up & the chiggers and ticks are out. :msp_rolleyes:

cutting wood

I do mine in spring or autumn, nothing in winter or summer, winter is too wet and summer has fire danger,and I am always at least 12 months ahead. I have 3 covered areas for wood and I rotate the areas each year, So 1 are always full 1 is being used ,1 is drying out, or being filled

After the leaves fall the wood will continue to get lower in moisture through mid winter. If I can, and it works out, I like to do the felling in January... even if the tree just lays there until better weather for bucking. Depending on the year and tree species, mid-February may be to late 'round here... I've seen hard maples "bleed" like a stuck pig that time of year. The moisture in trees is mixed with all sorts of stuff, making it a natural anti-freeze and the roots extend well below the frost line... some tree species start the sap running when the days get longer, regardless of temperature.

When I can get it. I prefer fall before the leaves fall, basically the next 4 weeks. It is cooler, dryer, no bugs, and still a reasonable amount of light. After the leaves fall, its slippery, traction on the truck is less, and its dark way early.

Latest posts

Back