When seasons cross - Ski<>Tree in VT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stayalert

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At the end of my ski season I got to combine my seasonal occupations and retrieve a winch cable that had grown into a tree ~35 feet above ground level. Commute to the worksite:commute.jpg

First throw of 2014 = $!first toss of 2014.jpg

Ski boots into tree/rope climbing mode:ski boots into climb mode.jpg

Part 3: Ski/Tree Vermont!ski (the trees) vermont.jpg

Mission accomplished (Nope, I don't work for Alta)cable retrieved.jpg

Best 1.5 hours of the Ski/Tree season so far!!

That first pic was great, a lot of motion in it! Reminds me of my favorite bike pic of all time. Bet you got plenty sweaty climbing that thing then got cold after ;-)

What's the story behind the cable? How were you able to get it out if it had grown into the tree?

I'm told the cable was placed and used during the construction of a couple of ski trails in the area. There is a short steep pitch near where the cable was…Was probably for anchoring snow cats or for skidding activities?? The cable had spliced eyes in the ends and the cable was looped around a crotch a couple of times and the end fed through one eye….The cable wasn't too deeply embedded and was for the most part free….I used a drilling hammer (small single handled sledge) and a hatchet to chisel the cable out where it was stuck…….

Okemo, The terrain might be a little different at Smuggs, but I'd be willing to bet the trees are pretty darn similar...

Yes!! A friend of mine has a condo at smuggs. I loved it there! Vermont is a cool place. We also went over to jay peak and hit up the new indoor water park. The standing wave is pretty fun!

The standing wave at Jay has schooled me hard. I think my longest ride after 3 attempts was about 5 seconds…..

Lol I know what you mean!! I got onto it after a while and got 2-3 min rides then wipe out and get washed up over that back!! Lol. It's harder than real surfing! How bout the water slide where you stand there and the speaker says 3-2-1 and the bottom falls out and you drop! That gets the heart rate up!

Latest posts

Back