When to fell an ash… now or spring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faaargo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need firewood by next winter and have none stored, so I need to get going ASAP.

Should one fell ash trees while things are still frozen or wait until spring? (mud season)

Mainly wondering about sap flow - will the ash be quicker to season if it’s felled prior to sap flow?

I would get it cut and spit now no matter if its dead or alive. Ash dries out nice and fast. In the old days when I sold firewood normally I would sell my wood that I was going to burn for the winter and went out in the timber and cut ash mostly dead and spit it and burned it right away. No sense of being out in the timber during mud season. My timber is in the pasture and I don't want to ruin my grass stand.

I would get it cut and spit now no matter if its dead or alive. Ash dries out nice and fast. In the old days when I sold firewood normally I would sell my wood that I was going to burn for the winter and went out in the timber and cut ash mostly dead and spit it and burned it right away. No sense of being out in the timber during mud season. My timber is in the pasture and I don't want to ruin my grass stand.
Agreed!

I can cut and haul the big (20-23") rounds up to the work yard this winter - but my 110V Super Split (J) doesn't arrive until late May. 😭

I've cut ash and burned it the same day in the February. I would definatly let it dry for a few months normally though.
I use the same rule of thumb when cutting firewood as I do for pruning trees, "The best time is when your saw is sharp and you have the time."
Cutting in the winter is much easier on the land and the residual stand, that's when most of it gets done here.
Stay sharp, look up, watch out for the widow makers.

I've cut ash and burned it the same day in the February. I would definatly let it dry for a few months normally though.
I use the same rule of thumb when cutting firewood as I do for pruning trees, "The best time is when your saw is sharp and you have the time."
Cutting in the winter is much easier on the land and the residual stand, that's when most of it gets done here.
Stay sharp, look up, watch out for the widow makers.
If you have straight grained and can get milled/ dried, = Great for axe/ sledge handles, ask any wood supplier

If they are dead cut them now and move them out before the thaw. If they are alive girdle them now and let them dry standing. If they are near structure put them down now if they have issues. I climb so topping them is always an option. Climb, cut, rope, cut, get down and pull them over. Sometimes it takes two ropes. Sometimes they are so dead you can't climb them. Those you can pull over or get the bucket/lift or a crane.

Here in the dairy state most ash in the southern half of the state is dead since EAB appeared in 2008. Some of these trees are so long standing dead that they’ve become brittle and punky….no good reliable hinges and falling branches are expected. Best leave them for the woodpeckers if not presenting risk otherwise. Just sayin’

Here in the dairy state most ash in the southern half of the state is dead since EAB appeared in 2008. Some of these trees are so long standing dead that they’ve become brittle and punky….no good reliable hinges and falling branches are expected. Best leave them for the woodpeckers if not presenting risk otherwise. Just sayin’
Or a good shot line and then put a pull rope in them.

I’ve been cutting a few here in East central Missouri. Most are dying or dead so any that have started shedding bark I’ve been taking them down. They make me nervous. Since I have various species of hardwood on my property and fairly dense growth, I fell a few that had to go down into other trees and be hung up. But at least I know they won’t fall on me. I’ll drag them out with the tractor soon. Maybe we’ll get one more good freeze yet this year.

Latest posts

Back