When to move a mulberry tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cher

Cher
Reaction score
I just planted a 4' tall mulberry willow last year, now I will be moving to go off grid. When is best time to dig up and move it? It is about 5' tall now with about a 3" base.

Thanks Cher

Mulberry are hard to kill, but if I had my choice I would transplant in the Fall after leaf drop
Thank you I was thinking that but not sure. What if I sold my house and have to move, could I do it sooner if I had to? It is already loaded with new berrys coming on.

Sure, what is ideal and what you have to do is two different things. Keep as much root mass as you can and when it's transplanted keep it moist with good long soakings a couple times a week. I like to transplant when dormant if possible but it certainly can be done during the growing season.

Sure, what is ideal and what you have to do is two different things. Keep as much root mass as you can and when it's transplanted keep it moist with good long soakings a couple times a week. I like to transplant when dormant if possible but it certainly can be done during the growing season.

Thanks again for the info. I usually run a light flow of water to let it soak in for about 30 mins every few days as we get real hot sun here in the white mountians of az.

If it is done budding you can pop it out in a proper root ball and wrap it in burlap and pack it in dirt or chips and keep it watered until you are ready to move

Landscape supply companies. Fabric store burlap might be too thin and for decoration only. Plus a landscape supply will sell a basket to put it in and support and shape the root ball.

Grab some of those ripe berries to take with you. A new sprout, growing where the birds plant it along my fence, will be 4 or 5 feet tall and an inch in diameter the first year. I could move 20 or 30 mulberries that way with almost no effort.

So u used the berry to replant tree?

QUOTE="Oldman47, post: 5883415, member: 129543"]Grab some of those ripe berries to take with you. A new sprout, growing where the birds plant it along my fence, will be 4 or 5 feet tall and an inch in diameter the first year. I could move 20 or 30 mulberries that way with almost no effort.[/QUOTE]

Cher, around here a mulberry is a weed tree. Birds plant them by the dozens by simply sitting on a fence and doing their business. Why do anything more strenuous for a 4 to 5 foot tree?

Well the reason I want to dig it up is that I am selling my house here and moving on two acres of property in the mountains to go off grid. I dont think the birds will go that far. Lol

Cher, around here a mulberry is a weed tree. Birds plant them by the dozens by simply sitting on a fence and doing their business. Why do anything more strenuous for a 4 to 5 foot tree?

That is why I advised you move the seeds.
I havent seen any new ones from the bird droppings, also there are alot of new sprouts at the bottom of the tree I have to keep cutting back so it doesnt take from the main one. Can I use those? They might be attached to the tree though.

The new plants around the base of your tree probably came from seeds just falling on the ground. Certainly you can uproot a few and take them along but be careful. Even the toughest of trees will die if the tiny root hairs dry out during transport. Have a bag of moist soil or peat waiting so that the roots can go right into it and stay moist for the trip.

Latest posts

Back