When to prune or shape these trees ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoeky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 3 of these trees in my yard. they all 3 were TOPPED years ago ! Not by me ! They have alot of small branches shooting upward. I was thinking about having them shaped & some of those shoots trimmed out. Should I do this ? When should I do this ? Look at the photo's.

Originally posted by joejoeky
I was thinking about having them shaped & some of those shoots trimmed out. Should I do this ? When should I do this ? Look at the photo's.
Yes, have it doen this winter. 1/3 of the most crowded shoots. Leave the biggest ones with the best buttress. Hire a certified arborist.

Meilleur's formula is simpler.

Sounds like how I do apple anymore. Remove about 1/3.

20% is better than 25%, but allowing extra sprouts to remain means they will be larger in the future, and the cuts will be bigger.

There is a greater rule amongst the experienced, and that is learning to bend the rules without breakiing the rules.

25% is not applicable as a rule anymore when the detriment of leaving growth will cause greater problems.

And really, leaving 2/3 of the biggest sprouts is probably within all the guidelines anyway. 1/3 of the sprouts is probably 15% to 20% of the canopy.

Maybe it's best to take out 1/3 of the worst ones.

Usually, I find the smaller ones are being out-competed, and produce the smallest wounds when removed.

I think that is what you were asking to learn.

One thing is likely - an experienced Certified Arborist will probably know what will be removed once he gets in the tree.

Back