when to throw in the towel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Know you were asking for it
lumberjack-1.jpg

WTH?!?!?

Where did you get my picture from?????
what kind of wood are you packin anyhow :dizzy:

i don't have any tattoos.

i don't think i'm great looking or anything.i was just stating what happened.it doesn't happen now or i don't pick up on it anymore.who knows.

that was down south and now i am in New England.that could have a lot to do with it.
Oh it happens all to often,it's Fine when its the Owner that's being hit on, but when they start droolin over your bois, you lose control, that is unless you just pimp um out LOL.
Aint that right TT:greenchainsaw:

spencerhenry:

You did your best......Move on and don't give this woman another thought.

You did a good thing by not entering her house.....

I work with the public and I get along with most people very well. I don't take myself too seriously and try to do whatever I can to help people out. Every once in a while I come across someone that just can't be pleased no matter how hard I try. A few of them were trouble from the very first time they appeared......and they have never changed. One man and his wife would call constantly to complain about some dirt on the street, a neighbor whose trash cans were out a little too long.....there was always an issue that made them upset even though their life is pretty easy and they didn't really have much to complain about. One day the woman called and began her telephone call by saying: "I don't like to call and complain"....To which I responded "Yes you do......You call me every week to complain about something". She now call much less frequently! I have come to believe that there are some people that will find something to complain about - even if things are going well. When there is really nothing major to worry about - they will start to notice and be bothered by the petty things.

You went out of your way to be "reasonable and fair" with this woman and the problem is obviously with her.....and not with you. It does sound like she had a problem with her heating system and I wonder if something isn't restricting her system and preventing it from creating a proper draft. Be thankful that this woman is not your mother, wife, daughter or neighbor - and that you are done with her. Time to move on to more productive and fun things!

Last edited:
I had a full service once that was constantly asking for extra BS, she had these Labs with the biges crap in town and a big Magnolia she always wanter every leaf up.

and she was a poor mouther too. however a 300.00 a month constant income.

one day while she was trying to get something for nothing she offered that she had a friend that she was referring to me as if she were giving me a bonus.

before I knew it someone said Well I hope she ain't as big a pain in the ass as you. her mouth dropped open in disbelief and she chuckled as I realized I had said it out loud.

I chuckled too and by damn I got away with it, she even became a little easier to work with.

to be honest...................

People getting sick of hearing "your guy's an idiot" or "my guy is the going to save the world", that is what it is coming to.

I was raised that one did not talk about politics, religion or money in polite circles. I consider parts above the polical section of this forum polite circles. The political section is for slinging mud and getting dirty, this is not the place for that.

i think most of us are sick of hearing men act like women.you know,that metrosexual thing that's going around.

if you're going to be running dangerous gas powered equipment,you need to lay off the skim milk and toughen up.

i doubt you hear guys talking like you at logging camps.

you would last about half a second on our crew.

Last edited:
you would last about half a second on our crew.

You talk about toughening up, yet here you are the one acting like a baby whining because your guy lost the election. As I said just take it to the place where people care. Just look at the other comments and you can see others agree that poluting threads is lousy.

Oh and I would not work on your crew. People that are disrepectful are usually dangerous. If they can't follow simple rules, then safety usually means nothing to them.

Firebuilding for dummies

You played it as best possible.

You made every effort to give quality service and product.

I've been thinking of writing up a fire building instruction sheet with drawings. I can copy them on our all in one printer. Put business information and contact info on it. The may want to keep the sheet for a while, or pass to a friend.

People are screwy sometimes. I pruned a guy's long dead tree for him, by the hour. He wanted it to look just so.

Good idea, southsoundtree but you don't have to write it ... it's been done ... Google'd "BUILDING A FIRE" ... got 254,000,000 hits

This diagram is a direct link to wintercampers.com:

start-a-fire-0508-lg.jpg

Copyrighted but you can probably get permission (or not ;)).

Last edited:
I had one call back for a cord of wood over the years and it was just last month.

I answer the phone (I have known the guy for years) and first words were "you sold me unseasoned wood" not Hi...not Dave this is Bill.....not I am having trouble getting a fire to start

I say "you drove way out of the way to tell me how good my wood was last year compared to the crap you bought on the cheap the year before. This is the same kind of wood, seasoned the same amount of time, I have sold a whole lot of loads with no complaints, and I heat my house with the same wood.

Did you clean your chimney out.....Yeah had it cleaned out last week....but I will call the guy and have him check it out" Told him I would come get it and give $ back for what is unused if he wants.

I hear nothing back for weeks so I call him and he says the guy forgot to clean out the cap and now it burns fine. (prob gunked up from the cheap guys wood in the past). But he doesn't even have the decency to call me back and admit he was wrong for that assumption.

If you are still on this thread, OP, you should "throw in the towel". Nothing you can do now will rectify the situation and if you are like me your anger will eventually make things worse.

The people she bad mouths you to likely already know she is a nut and will take it with a grain of salt esp. if your wood they are burning is and has been just fine.

Good Job!!!

my female neighbor agrees with the female post here. she thinks that she called to complain just to get ME to come back and talk/ hang out with her. it would not be the first time, and i am sure not the last. actually i would like to deliver wood to some hot single woman, once before it happened, she was my girlfriend for a year and half, after that however i wished i had never met her, but thats another story.
i am trying really hard to make firewood a real business. as i get more and more customers, i am sure i will get more and more problem customers. i have been lucky though, in 9 years of selling wood here, i have only recieved 3 or 4 bad checks, and only one actually tried to stiff me. but i have to date never not gotten paid, sometimes it took a while, but still got it. i take checks, cash, and am thinking about paypal. the easier i can make it for someone to pay me the more likely i am to make the sale. i hate paypal, but i am going to try it and see if it helps sales. it creates more ability for people to stiff me, but i have to try.
my firewood processor will be here on wednesday, with that kind of production i will need all the sales i can get.

thanks to all for your comments, its good to have confirmation of what i think is right.

As a volunteer at a nursing home, I can relate to your experiences with that customer. You could have been dealing with some early form of dementia or just plain loneliness. I agree it takes some special handling but don't "throw in the towel" because of one (or more) bad customer(s) ... humor them as best as you can and move on ... you gotta make that new "firewood processor" happy ... sure would like to see some pix of that!!!

Good thread!!! (have some rep)

Last edited:
Fish... all I can say is wow! How soon can people forget... 8 YEARS!!! But maybe you didn't get it like the rest of the country.

Don't forget how unpatriotic it is to criticize the President, or is that somehow allowed now?? :monkey:

Where is the sheep smilies at???

Last edited:
i vote third party!

You talk about toughening up, yet here you are the one acting like a baby whining because your guy lost the election. As I said just take it to the place where people care. Just look at the other comments and you can see others agree that poluting threads is lousy.

Oh and I would not work on your crew. People that are disrepectful are usually dangerous. If they can't follow simple rules, then safety usually means nothing to them.

so my guy always loses!

i ain't whining about that.trust me.

don't worry,we don't hire candy a$$e$ in the first place.you ain't coming to our jobsites with them hope and change bumper stickers on your car.

Last edited:
Brown Boy?

OK....I have got to ask...What is a "Brown Boy"? I hope Brown is his last name. :confused:

Brown Boy?

I don't remember seeing the word "eyed" in the post. I'm not trying to start up anything. But I just found it....peculiar

I don't remember seeing the word "eyed" in the post. I'm not trying to start up anything. But I just found it....peculiar

It didn't say eyed.

Think about it !:monkey:

what is predominately exclusive to Caucasian/ Saxon races ?

contractor calls the temp service and says can you send me some blue eyed boys today, what do you think that means?

spencerhenry,
Seems to me you have fought the good fight and have more than full filled any obligation to this gal you might have. Only thing I could add, if she does have a plugged cap, creosote filled flue or just doesn't know about the damper and really might be in danger of burning the place down, would a call to the Aspen fire dept. be in order? Might save a life, albeit a pita. Again this would be above and beyond but given what you have put into this deal a phone call couldn't hurt.

Back