where can I get a tach?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one doesnt look bad either and is 15 bucks cheaper...
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17122&catID=

I think I'd rather have the $65 tiny tach:
http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/commercial.php

A note on those optical tachs like the eBay link Evanrude posted:
It's optical, so it needs to see the rotation. You've got to be able to point it at the clutch drum, and probably have to paint a reference line on the clutch.
If you're doing that, look at the online model airplane stores like towerhobbies.com, or send me a PM, I've got a few extra optical airplane tachs around here somewhere. I don't think they store the high reading, but I think they have a hold button on them.
This is the tach I've got.

Last edited:
Either or. It is the EDT 8 and it works well when used as a wireless (that's the only way I have used it so far), but also comes with a lead that can be connected to a plug wire.

It works on both 4- and 2-cycle engines, which is what I required.

How does the wireless sensor work? Does it sense the electromagnetic pulse?

How does the wireless sensor work? Does it sense the electromagnetic pulse?

Yes. There is a sensor in the unit (on the same side that the lead would be hooked up if it was being used). There is an arrow on the unit - just point it at the plug wire.

I double-checked it on my mud motor (a 16HP B&S 4-cycle) which already has a Tiny Tach installed on it. I ran the motor, noted the Tiny Tach RPM reading, then used the Stihl tach and obtained the same reading. I did that so that I could use it as a wireless with confidence.

I ordered the tt-20k from Amicks this morning.

Sounds like a good tach from all the posts, and I figured I would support one of the site sponsors.

Sounds like a good tach from all the posts, and I figured I would support one of the site sponsors.

I really like mine,you won`t be disappointed.The clear plastic sleeve keeps the water out of it if you have to use it outdoors in damp conditions and it will fit in coverall top front pockets. Pioneerguy600

You got a great Tach. and if you talked to Tony you probably made a friend for life he is a good ol,boy for sure. Tony, Dean & Gail are some of the best people I've ever met in the business. :cheers:

A note on those optical tachs like the eBay link Evanrude posted:
It's optical, so it needs to see the rotation. You've got to be able to point it at the clutch drum, and probably have to paint a reference line on the clutch.

Oh, I guess I missed that it was an optical tach. I guess that wouldn't work too well for a saw then. I'll admit, I dont know much about how the wireless tach's work.

Back