Where the wood is

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
From NASA -- Woody Biomass, darker color the more tons per acre:

Where-the-wild-things-grow-NASA-map-shows-virtually-every-tree-in-the-US.jpg

My biggest "Cool" is I've never seen something called the "Great Appalachian Valley" so clearly on a map before -- that's the narrow strip of cleared land that comes down Lake Champlain & Hudson River, cuts across New Jersey, goes through Lancaster County, down into the Shenandoah, and keeps on trucking down into Tennessee.

And looking at New England, I understand better why (in addition to subsidies, etc) why folks keep proposing wood-burning electric plants here...it's where the wood is.

Bear in mind that much of the dark that you see in the mountainous parts of Virginia and North Carolina is owned by the federal government.

just curious

What are the lines drawn on the map? They certainly aren't state lines or time zones. What could those divisions in grey lines be?

Watersheds is my guess.

Respectfully, I disagree. I look at my state of north carolina, and there is one of those lines running north-south, across several river basins. But it does roughly correspond with the "fall line," where the piedmont drops off to the coastal plain. So maybe it's a geological line, not an administrative line. I'm still very curious as to what it might be.

Latest posts

Back