where to buy Pex

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok ... never thought I'd have this problem .. where do you all buy the pex to run inside the house? The underground pipe is on it's way but I thought I would find out what it is going to cost me indide the house and that is just as difficult! I called the plumbing supply houses and half will not sell to the general public and the other will only sell in 300 ft coils (at $370) .. I only need 100 ft total!! not sure what to do. I see some on the home depot web site.. not sure if it's good enough to work. any advice?

One of our local plumbing supply houses sells in rolls and 20' sticks. Is there another plumbing/heating supply house around?

Give www.pexsupply.com a try. They should have everything you should need. If you spend over $300.00 dollars it's free shipping. That's where i got all of my supplies. Very competive pricing too.

Rodney

OK .. looking on line I see both Lowes and Home depot carry 100' rolls of pex .. but I am confused .. anyone know the diff between them?

Lowes has it for $77 and it says it's "

Zurn PEX
White PEX Potable Water Tubing 1" x 100' Roll

Item #: 231243#######Model: Q5PC100XBL

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=231243-869-Q5PC100XBL&lpage=none

Home depot is $42.66 and it's

1 In. x 100 Ft. Pex Pipe
Model#Q5PC100X

$42.66/EA Each

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100538968

You need pex that has an oxygen barrier and is rated for heat not potable water. Where in NY are you

I'm located in Binghamton NY. The description says potable water and rediant heating .. guess it will not handle the 180 degree water ...

Do you have a HEPS plumbing store near you ?
That's where we bought the pex pipe we needed to finish up
our hookup recently. Have to buy it in a 20' length for $ 25
Name on the pipe is barrier tubing. Theirs is red in color.
Make sure the salesperson understands you want it to carry
the hot water from a outside wood furnace appox 180 degrees.

We bought the most of our pex from the dealer in Locke NY
for $ 1.10 a ft. ( maybe price higher now )
That came off those big coils.
And the insulated pex we paid $ 12.50 a ft, and I know that
is at least 13.50 a ft now

Last edited:
It's called thermopex
We only needed 26 ' to go from outside furnace to under our house.
It's pex tubing that is insulated and is in a very hard shell casing.
It's like arguing with a alligator to get it into the trench and where
you want it. It's about 5 and 1/2" in diameter. It comes in big
coils and you buy just the length you need from the dealer.
We put part of ours through a length of PVC pipe as it came under
the driveway. Maybe we did not need to do that but we err on the side
of caution here.
This termopex will only lose 1 degree of heat per 100 ' run.
It can even lay on top of the ground if need be.

I've run a search here on the site and many posts are saying that o2 pex is NOT needed. So much conflicting info, one doesn't know whom to believe!

I've run a search here on the site and many posts are saying that o2 pex is NOT needed. So much conflicting info, one doesn't know whom to believe!

what does the manufacturer recommend? bottom line is you have to go with what they say is best for that unit.

If you recheck w/ Lowes and home depot, neither has the 1 inch heat pex. The kind they have is for non ferrous material. Iron and steel are ferrous metals as I recall and even if I'm wrong they only go to 3/4 inch.

:jawdrop:

wellheres where I stand .. talked to the manufacturer of my OWB .. since it is an open system there is no need for O2 barrier .. waste of money (makes sence now that I think of it .. open to the air at my overflow .. why worry about O2 getting thorugh pex. I noticed the ZURN Pex listed on the Home Depot web site is not there .. still listed at $77 on Lowes. Going to check at the store at lunch time. I did find a ebay store (pex tubing store) with 100' roll for 55 plus 20 shipping .. even though I have to pay NY tax I think this is my best bet.

steve

Ditto!

O2 barrier PEX not needed for open systems...all above sources good, PEX supply probably cheepest, but I bought my 500' roll of 1" PEX from Noland. Ferguson Enterprises also carries PEX, Tektite fittings (Sharkbite type)

Back