Where'd my wood go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relax, this is what you do.

Get a pile of wood ready as an obvious pile to steal from. Take a few split chunks and remember which ones they are. Get a couple .22 LR shells, drill the wood pieces and drop in the ammo, seal it up with wood putty. Imagine their suprise when they burn it! might even help you figure out who the thief is.:chainsaw:

22LR? If you're going to do it, do it right. Pack about an ounce of 4F Black powder in the hole. Your luck, they'd sell the load to some poor widow woman.

Ian

Just post a big sign by the wood reading: "I loaded 12 gauge shotgun shells into some of this wood and plugged the holes. You figure out which pieces have the shells in them. Good luck."

I am with ya!

A few weeks ago I noticed that there was about 1/3 cord missing from my stack - grumble, grumble....

I thought is was a good spot to stack it as there is lots of sun. While you can see it from the road I didn't think that anyone would steal it as I live in the boonies and thief would have to carry all the pieces down and up about a 12' deep ditch, with water in the bottom! Well that is exactly what they did.

What frustrates me the most is the stuff that they took was good quality hard wood that I had split and stacked in the pouring rain! I vividly remember because I kept thinking to myself "this is to keep us warm this winter" and "Just keep working, I am saving our family a lot of money".

I feel your pain, Kil.
I use to keep about 5 things of tube sand in the back of my pick up for ballast during plowing in winter time. While at the local Home Cheapo Store, some thief stole 3 of em out the back of my truck. I think I paid about a whooping $7 for each of em.
Some people know how to put the "T" in thurd sandwich.

Last edited:
Bury a couple of boards with nails in them if it is on private property, but don't forget where they are at. They can fix one tire with a spare but not two of them. If you got kids and pets this my not work. If you got longer grass also barb wire getting wrapped around the drive line is a pain to get out also. They will find out it is not worth the hassle for the wood. Don`t get me wrong I`m not a mean person and I do not mean any harm or hard ship on anyone, but if you can`t catch them cost them. I work hard for the this I have and don`t think I need to pay for them twice.

Bury a couple of boards with nails in them if it is on private property, but don't forget where they are at. They can fix one tire with a spare but not two of them. If you got kids and pets this my not work. If you got longer grass also barb wire getting wrapped around the drive line is a pain to get out also. They will find out it is not worth the hassle for the wood. Don`t get me wrong I`m not a mean person and I do not mean any harm or hard ship on anyone, but if you can`t catch them cost them. I work hard for the this I have and don`t think I need to pay for them twice.

When I was building my first log house in Texas, someone stole 1,000bf of t&g pine($300 hard earned bucks in 1983) I had delivered for the interior walls. I used 10" log spikes and a 12' 2x10 to make a "trap", covered it all nice and neat with leaves...a thing of beauty. a week later we were up on the roof cutting in the stove pipe/box when a bud stopped by to visit. He just kept driving up the side drive near the house towards the trap while we screamed and yelled franticly for him to stop. He did.....6" away from that row of spikes. I decided then that it was just too dangerous to have that thing around so I took it apart.

Cameras are a much better game, even a better game if you recognize the thief.....a well thought out, intricate and devious payback is much more enjoyable :cheers:.

RD

Latest posts

Back