Which Brush cutter to get FS85, FS160 or FS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenalex

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the following Stihl brush cutters
FS 85
FS 160
FS 250

The property has thick brush with stems of approximately 1 inches thick in most cases and some others slightly thicker.

The brush cutter will mostly be used every few months (3 to 4 months) to cut multiple land areas of 0.1 acres.

I spoke to multiple individuals some recommend FS85 due to the size of the land I would be clearing and others recommend FS250 due to the power to handle thick brush.

I am look for advice on which brush cutter would be bets to get for long term maintenance.

I have an FS 85 and a 250. For brush with stems that thick I use a chain saw. The 250 with an appropriate blade will cut them but it's difficult on a lot of the brush and tree species we have. Once cut you have a pile of brush that's blocking the next brush to cut. So you have to take the brush cutter off the harness, set it down and move the brush to a pile. Then pick it up and cut a few feet more.

If your brush is more widely spaced than mine you may be able to cut more before piling, making the brush cutter more useful.

I think the stuff I have to cut would be very hard on an 85, leading to repairs sooner than expected.

I have the Stihl "advanced" forestry harness which is very comfortable.

Back