Which stump grinder to buy????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am new to this site, as I am in the lawncare business, and usually post on the various lawn care forums.
However, I am about to purchase a stump grinder and could use some help from the experts here.
I know I want a machine that will go through a 36" gate. I want to keep the cost down, so I am looking a machines with either a 25hp, or 27hp Kohler engine, are self propelled, and have hydraulic controls for the cutter head.
I am considering the Rayco 1625A, and similar models from Vermeer, Bandit, and Carlton.
Of these four brands, what would you guys recommend? All have local dealers, except for Carlton.
I would like to buy a used machine, but will probably have to buy new, as I have not been able to find any used ones. Thanks.

I bought a used SC252 last yer. Works great for the average 2 foot stump in my opinion. Wish it had a little more horse power though. If your looking for a used one, check out some of the rental shops. Most will sell anything for the right price.

I just purchased a Alpine Magnum and this thing can grind almost anything any place. About half the price of others as well,:cheers:
Would highly recomend.

Last edited:
superior72 said:
I just purchased a Alpine Magnum and this thing can grind almost anything any place. About half the price of others as well,:cheers:
Would highly recommend to anyone

The Alpine is not what I am looking for. Much to small, and you have to manhandle it around. My old back is not good enough for a machine like that Alpine.

looking for used stump grinder

hey - if you want a used stump grinder, check out the rental stores. They should be selling a used grinder - you may have to look at several stores before you find the right machine. Also - call your local dealer and ask them, they might have a customer looking to sell one.

When you're buying, consider the following:

Where's the local dealer for parts / support?
Who's been in the business for a long time? (NOT Bandit!)
What machines do you see at all the local rental stores?
What machines are running in your area?

hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back