Which Ultra sonic Cleaner?? anyone have the ~$40 HF unit?? 3min runtime?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys...wondering what your using. if you have one, for an Ultra sonic Cleaner...

I picked up the 1 pint (16oz) unit from HF today...usually $40, was $25, with the 20% off coup, it was $20 :clap: YEA!!

Got it home to find out it it's made to auto-shut-off after ONLY 3 minutes... :censored:

I don't want to HAVE to baby sit it all day, nor do i think that will be enough time to clean a really GUNKED up carb...

do I need to go to the 1.5gal $75 unit???

Thanks guys!

J

Last edited:
I clean my gun parts with ultrasonic cleaners especially those polymer frame guns like Glocks, HK-USP's, but I am afraid you really get what you pay for.

First one I had was a Harbor Freight Tool's cheapo but it lasted me 2 yrs. Choked up 6 bills & bought a pro-grade unit from Brownells which is still running today, since 2004.

For occasional use, I've heard those $60-$80 jeweler's ultrasonic cleaners work fairly well.

THIS is just like the one I use, only the one I have is a bit bigger.

EDIT: I forgot to add, it has a 30 minute timer, and will heat up to 195 degrees (checked it with an infared thermometer).

Last edited:
I picked up the bigger HF unit (2.5 quart?) on sale a while back with a coupon for about $50. If I compare it to the Branson's that we used in the electronics industry, well, it falls a little short on power.

However, if you think about it as, hey, $50 for a cleaner that works pretty good, it is really worth the price and maybe even then some. This one also has heat, which really helps.

The bigger unit still cuts off after 320 seconds max time; you have to punch the button to restart after that.

I clean more gun parts in it than anything, but depending on what you use for additives to water, you can get some good cleaning. I like using a mixture of mostly water, a little "simple green" and a generous dose of IPA. Cuts grease and scum in one or two cycles at temperature.

For carb gunk, I would suggest soaking in your favorite solvent dip tank, then using the ultrasonic to remove the stuff the solvent loosened up.

Would like a higher wattage unit, but can't justify it now.

THIS is just like the one I use, only the one I have is a bit bigger.

EDIT: I forgot to add, it has a 30 minute timer, and will heat up to 195 degrees (checked it with an infared thermometer).

DAAAAYYYUUUMMMM wigs...

that there looks spppeeeensive :D

I picked up the bigger HF unit (2.5 quart?) on sale a while back with a coupon for about $50. If I compare it to the Branson's that we used in the electronics industry, well, it falls a little short on power.

However, if you think about it as, hey, $50 for a cleaner that works pretty good, it is really worth the price and maybe even then some. This one also has heat, which really helps.

The bigger unit still cuts off after 320 seconds max time; you have to punch the button to restart after that.

I clean more gun parts in it than anything, but depending on what you use for additives to water, you can get some good cleaning. I like using a mixture of mostly water, a little "simple green" and a generous dose of IPA. Cuts grease and scum in one or two cycles at temperature.

For carb gunk, I would suggest soaking in your favorite solvent dip tank, then using the ultrasonic to remove the stuff the solvent loosened up.

Would like a higher wattage unit, but can't justify it now.

I guess I'll have to return, and try again!!

I have had good luck the old fashioned way (kits, and cleaning) with most carbs so far, except these DAMN F-IN WYK-73 carbs for these big backback blowers are giving me FITS!!!!! I've been in iy 3 times! it was running for the guy 3 weeks ago, so it's not varnish.

:censored:

Like was said,you will have to reset the time on the larger one also.
i have both sizes,prefer the smaller one for carbs.
need to keep close to your working and keep resetting..

DAAAAYYYUUUMMMM wigs...

that there looks spppeeeensive :D

I guess I'll have to return, and try again!!

I have had good luck the old fashioned way (kits, and cleaning) with most carbs so far, except these DAMN F-IN WYK-73 carbs for these big backback blowers are giving me FITS!!!!! I've been in iy 3 times! it was running for the guy 3 weeks ago, so it's not varnish.

:censored:

Hey SG, I bought a UC about a year ago, It's the HF item 93035 which has a 480 second (8 minutes) timer (which one cycle is enough, usually). I checked the Harbor Freight Site and it says its NLA, unfortunately.
I haven't had a failure yet when cleaning a carb, I had a bunch of carbs that I couldn't clean in the conventional way, and I used the UC on them and it did the job nicely.​
So if ya do find one, I think you'll like it​
:cheers:

I have the 480 second cycle one from HF and it seems to work well on carbs and chains, I usually run the chains thru it with a little Shout on em before sharpening. For carbs I use a cycle of Simple Green then a cycle of water only.

I have both the 480 sec large unit and the smaller one as well. For just a single chainsaw carb, I actually use the little one more as it takes a lot less simple green clear/water mix. I usually heat the mix first in an old coffee maker. Sure the small runtime sucks but whatcha gonna do?

Sure the small runtime sucks but whatcha gonna do?

Can't you just open that thing up and bypass the timer entirely (would loose the auto-shut-off feature than as well)?
I have the bigger one (480s) and just reset it a couple of times.

Below is one of the reviews on the HF 2.5 liter unit. Has anyone heard of this 'test'? Just wondering if anyone has experienced problems with any unit not cleaning other than in the center?

'After reading the good reviews, I decided to try one of these. I was disappointed - the sonic cleaning action is only effective at the very center of the tank. After the brass cases I tried were only partially cleaned, I used the standard test to check ultrasonic cleaner effectiveness: suspend a piece of aluminum foil in the tank; if the cleaner is working, in short order you'll have pinholes in the foil. The unit I had would only perforate the foil in the middle 2 1/2 inches of the tank; NO discernable cleaning action AT ALL elsewhere. Maybe I got a bad unit, but if parts in most of the tank aren't cleaned, the unit is worthless, no matter how low the price.'

I've got the small 4 minute HF USC. Am very satisfied with it. put in warm water with a dollop of cheap degreaser and run 2 4 minute cycles..works great.

Like was said,you will have to reset the time on the larger one also.
i have both sizes,prefer the smaller one for carbs.
need to keep close to your working and keep resetting..

cool...thanks Ron! :cheers:

do you have this one? (the one I have: ) http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html

I have the 480 second cycle one from HF and it seems to work well on carbs and chains, I usually run the chains thru it with a little Shout on em before sharpening. For carbs I use a cycle of Simple Green then a cycle of water only.

cool...good info!!

I have both the 480 sec large unit and the smaller one as well. For just a single chainsaw carb, I actually use the little one more as it takes a lot less simple green clear/water mix. I usually heat the mix first in an old coffee maker. Sure the small runtime sucks but whatcha gonna do?

Thanks Nik!! I was thinkin the same...'it is what it is...' lol

UNLESSS....

Can't you just open that thing up and bypass the timer entirely (would loose the auto-shut-off feature than as well)?
I have the bigger one (480s) and just reset it a couple of times.

I can do this! this is what I was thinking of as well....depending on how the board is constructed, I may have to do some 'EXTRA' wiring/soldering.

I've got the small 4 minute HF USC. Am very satisfied with it. put in warm water with a dollop of cheap degreaser and run 2 4 minute cycles..works great.

4 min? an older one perhaps?

good to hear...

I was afraid i would need HOURS to clean the carbs... thus I was afraid I'd have to return, and spend $80 on it :mad:

Thanks guys!!!!!

Jay

cool...thanks Ron! :cheers:
do you have this one? (the one I have: ) http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html
cool...good info!!
Thanks Nik!! I was thinkin the same...'it is what it is...' lol
UNLESSS....
I can do this! this is what I was thinking of as well....depending on how the board is constructed, I may have to do some 'EXTRA' wiring/soldering.
4 min? an older one perhaps?
good to hear...
I was afraid i would need HOURS to clean the carbs... thus I was afraid I'd have to return, and spend $80 on it :mad:
Thanks guys!!!!!
Jay

These are the ones i have,they both are 480 seconds,or 8 min :)
i use em when working in the shop and keep hitting the buttons..
have had some carbs probly clean for a couple of hours,just to make sure.
i plan ahead,carb needs a cleaning i dont plan on working on it for a day or so..it lives in the cleaner for awhile that way.have had some stay in for a couple days. blow it off with air then carb cleaner.
looked inside the larger one once,it broke,then noticed on warranty so back together and was replaced..you may find more than you want to mess with inside there.looked like a hard written chip for timing program,cant be hard wired,someday i may take another look..sometimes they use such cheap components they arent labeled and hard to tell what they are.

attachment.php

Back