Which would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighank

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Please help.... I need everyone's collective experience (yes I know this topic is getting old but I need some good hard facts about both brands)

In reference to LOG SPLITTERS made by Speeco and Northstar, which brand is best and the most value for the money.

Specifically I am looking at the 28 ton Speeco with the B&S 1450 OHV engine from Omni Manfc (fast cycle time). and the 30 ton Northstar from Northern Tool (honda GX engine).

My main concerns include: the B&S engine on the Speeco (1450 ohv good or bad)? While i know the honda GX on the Northstar is a great engine does anyone else think it is a bit underpowered 160cc for a 30 ton machine (cycle time is slow). Anyone have any issues with the built in log cradle on the Speeco machines getting clogged up with bark and such (I've never really heard anyone complain about it so I'm assuming its a moot point, however looking at pictures it seems like it would get clogged). In general what brand is built better. And finally any thoughts on the wedge design / material of both machines (cast steel on northstar and ??? on speeco). wheeeww Im done.

Thanks for the help.

I have the 22ton Speeco/Huskee, and have had no problems with it (other than crappy assembly by TSC). I've put about 10 cords through it in the past year. Speeco customer service has a good reputation too. Never run a Northstar, so can't comment on that one.

How much wood do you split a year?

If you're in the 5 cord and under either machine should be fine.

I wouldn't get hung up on the engine, they can be replaced easy enough and either brand has an excellent dealer network for warranty service, I would start looking at the other features and ergonomics. Are the hydraulics name brand or mongrel, where and how many grease fittings, what do the welds look like, are the fenders going to be constantly scrapping your leg while you operate the splitter? All these little things make a difference. As I said before, engines can be swapped but a machine that is difficult to use at the start will still be difficult to use 5 years from now.

Take Care

Swamp Yankee has a really good point.

I'm happy with the Speeco as far as ergonomics are concerned. It works well for what I use it for... I have been getting a lot of large ash rounds this year, and the vertical splitting capability has made this one nice for me. Get them quartered, and then go horizontal.

Thanks for the replies, it's going to be a multi family splitter and I see it doing a bout 15 or so cord a year

I bought the speeco 28 ton a couple of years ago. I've done likely 20 full cord with it, several neighbours have used it and put that many across it too. No issues at all other than the oil tank drain was dripping for awhile, wasn't quite tight enough. It hasn't been towed alot but short distances don't seem to be a problem. The cradle does get plugged but it's no big deal and really doesn't hurt anything. Not quite as fast as I would like but for $1550 taxes in here in Ontario it's pretty hard to beat. I would like to put a cover over the motor so it doesn't get hit by wood. Controls are easy to work and in a decent location. Fuel tank is too small but by then I need a break anyway.

I've NEVER had good luck w/ Briggs engines... & nothing BUT good luck w/ GX hondas. Other than that, I can't comment on either of your choices specifically. If I was in the market for a splitter, I'd buy a used one, repower it w/ a used GX Honda (if it wasn't already Honda powered), add a new 2 stage pump (unless it already had one which was a match for the new engine), custom table(s), & whatever else it needed to be reliable. I'd be several hundred bucks ahead, & have exactly what I wanted. If you are not mechanically inclined and/ or don't have fabricating skills or equipment, then that's not an option for you.

Sorry if I'm getting off topic, but that's what happens when you ask for opinions around here:biggrin:...

I like Speeco because of there quality but the Huskee splitters work good and also look amazing too! Pretty much just a matter of preference!

In my opinion B&S is a problem waiting to happen. I have no problem with Speeco but have never had anything but problems with Briggs.

Bought the 25T Speeco with a 1450 Briggs last summer. Splitter has been trouble free, splits all the nasty rounds I put through it and the Briggs runs like a champ summer to winter. I'm impressed with long run-time for the amount of gasoline it uses. So far I've been more than happy with the purchase. Seems not all have the same results on this forum as I have...but I'd still buy another 25T Speeco if a tornado blew it away or the barn burned down with the splitter in it. Its was worth the $1250 I had to pay for it to me.

Problems with B&S engines?What kind of problems?I've got one little 6 horse that has been running hard for 16 years.I did put a new plug and pull cord on it this year.I have an 850 and the 1450 on my splitters.They both start right up and run fine.I run no ethanol in mine and clean the airfilter often, along with regular oilchange.I'm not knocking the Honda, just don't think they are worth the price differance.Also, my engines were made in the U.S.A..

I vote for the Briggs also. When I was a kid mowin grass my little 5.50 I think it was mower was bogging down in some tall grass. I pulled that little governor spring and wrapped it around that bracket. She ran wide open from then on out. She never bogged down again no matter how tall the grass was. U.S.A

Anyone for the Northstars?

From what I can see in the picture, Northstar doesn't have a filter in the return line.Very bad.Also, you don't get any more options with Northstar than you will with speeco, but you will still pay more and get a smaller engine.The pump(I'm comparing the 35t Speeco-37tNS) is the same and the cylinder size is the same.Valves are probably the same as well.The Speeco is built plenty stout and I'm sure the NS is as well,so it comes down to how much do you want to spend and do you like red better than black?
And as far as a problem waiting to happen as one wrote of the B&S engine, pretty much anything you put gas and oil in will fail at some point.The worse they are maintained the sooner.

It's your own business, but sharing a machine can be a bad idea.Is everyone involved chipping in, are all parties able and willing to help out with the maintenence/upkeep and fix breakdowns?

redheadwoodshed...thanks for the good info about the speeco's thats the way I've been leaning. As far as it being a family splitter all costs will be shared by my brother and law and I.

This was a Red Oak crotch that would not split. It was torn apart by my North Star 30 ton. I am 100% confident that there is no wood on this earth this splitter won't split. That being said there in this category of splitters there is probably little difference. Take a good look at how this wood is not split it was literally torn apart by the splitter. The arrow points to where the ram bottomed out and I had to chop it apart from there because it still wouldn't pull apart by hand. The honda gx engine was the seller for me with the North Star. It starts the first pull every time.....every time. :msp_wink:
wood001.jpg

wood002.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone for the Northstars?

I have an older 20ish ton north star with a honda 160 and have NEVER had a problem with it. If you want a good all purpose splitter with a motor that will last forever get the north star. DO NOT buy a Power Horse motor from Northern though... Just in case your tempted for the price. You'll end up with a blown up POS.

My biggest gripe about the Northstar is that the base plate should have been bigger to help stabilize the I-beam when upright. A bigger base plate would have also been nice to rotate wood on. The ground I split on is soft and it can lead to a leaning I-beam if the bottom pad isn't big enough... If you get one of the newer Northstar's it looks like that problem has been fixed.

I do have to say those honda engins will run forever! we ran them on cement mixers in highschool for brick laying. I don't think we ever maintained that mixer for 4-5 summers when it quit running one day. Even then a new air filter and plug solved the problem. And mixing cement has to be about the dirtiest most demanding job I can think of for those motors. running all day in the hot weather while breathing in fine particulate from the cement bags.

I vote Honda... No matter what splitter you want!

PS: Look around... you might be able to find a used splitter or the pieces to make your own! I watched CL for a long time and found a Honda GX390 on a big power washer and a splitter that was used on a John Deere 4020. I ended up making a really nice splitter out of it for a guy I know. If you have the access to a decent welder you can build your own for 1/2 the price of a new one. If you do your research you'd know to do stuff like put a filter on the return (kinda dumb not to). Plus building your own will give you the knowledge to fix it (when and if it breaks).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back