While I'm Not A Newbie,... Why Is Using Spikes to "Prune Only" A Bad Thing?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's my point. I gathered from his comment that I needed to grease it. you can get the point even if its not the best way of communicating. but naturally your first reaction, and sometimes the only reaction, is to get upset. so its both ways and it will always be that way.

I did not to mean to sound the way you took it. Sorry,
Jeff

its no problem. I was using it as an example, not as an outlet to vent. I appreciate you apologizing. seriously, don't sweat it.

I'm still relatively new on here as far as I'm concerned. I have taken the heat for saying something stupid, took it like a man and learned from it. What did I learn? Keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about.

I am about to turn 40 years old and have owned, used and maintained my own saws since I was 12. When it comes to climbing, spikes or no spikes, I'm a newb like it or not. I listen, (read 100 times more than I post), expect to be treated like a green horn when my actions deem it deserving and respect the guys that have been doing this profession for their whole lives. Like an 18 year old ground hand, gonna hear about it when you are deserving of.

I was taken back a little as you start out claiming to be a newb ready to learn but later on in the thread claim to be doing this longer than some of us have been alive insinuating that you already know the answer to the questions you put forth. I really don't care either way but your reputation becomes shaky when you change the story mid stream.

I learned that its good to clean your tools with 10% bleach solution to avoid spreading disease to the trees you want to take care of. I thank the member who shared this knowledge. Be truthful and humble, you will get answers. Keep your composure no matter what someone else does. Just because you feel someone else pulled the pin doesn't mean you have to. Also, I'm by no means a moderator but using @#$% to disguise curse words really isn't the best thing to do either, the warning has been posted in the stickies.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm still relatively new on here...

I was taken back a little as you start out claiming to be a newb ready to learn but later on in the thread claim to be doing this longer than some of us have been alive insinuating that you already know the answer to the questions you put forth. I really don't care either way but your reputation becomes shaky when you change the story mid stream."

Maybe being "relatively new" has something to do with it? I don't know and it's really not an issue, but I've NEVER claimed to be a "newb". I think maybe it had something to do with the way this forum part has it's titled posted:

"This Forum is for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics. Ask the pro's here."

First of all, I'm far from a "newb" being in the industry professionally since the early 80's. However, I know there is so much to learn that no one can know it all. I started my thread in the "...new to the business" part because it's a "newb" question, so to speak.

Like I've mentioned several times already, both in this post and others, I think I know most all the answers, BUT NOT all the answers... and in so asking, I thought maybe I could learn more. Instead I get criticism and bs, etc, instead of just a plain answer without all the hoopla. LOL! Whatever. I had hoped to learn something extra I could take back and tell these guys here locally that their spiking live pruning is wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

==========================================

Here's a carpenter's axiom... "Measure twice, cut once." To those who haven't learned here and on other posts of mine...

"Read TWICE, reply once", because if you don't you may be mistaken in my question, etc. Thanks!

An unusual thread for sure. Maybe being a pro and asking "newb" questions here is not the thing to do? Don't know but the replies have been less than stellar by far.

Take care,

StihlRockin'

I'm gonna ignore the bovine fecal matter in the thread and just give my answer.

Wounds invite disease. Spikes pick up a ton of bacteria and viruses. Don't use them unless you are felling.

Even if you just cleaned them, you're unnecessarily jamming bacteria from the bark into the cambium and inviting rot to developed.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna ignore the bovine fecal matter in the thread and just give my answer.

Wounds invite disease. Spikes pick up a ton of bacteria and viruses. Don't use them unless you are felling.

Even if you just cleaned them, you're unnecessarily jamming bacteria from the bark into the cambium and inviting rot to developed.

Bacteria doesn't develop rot, fungi does.

True, bacteria just feeds on the sugars and creates a nice environment for fungi spores to develop.

ok, so the first two things that anyone ever learned me about climbing was

Don't use your climbing line as a rigging line

Don't use your spikes unless the tree is dead or your removing the tree completely.

I guess because I am a newbie I don't ask for more than common sense answers.

:)

ok, so the first two things that anyone ever learned me about climbing was

Don't use your climbing line as a rigging line

Don't use your spikes unless the tree is dead or your removing the tree completely.

I guess because I am a newbie I don't ask for more than common sense answers.

:)

Same here. I read about the wound/bacteria/fungi relationship in my study guide and from a guy at Fairchild tropical garden that does workshops I attend.

I always wear spikes, pruning or not, I've seen and worked on trees in London that have been topped or thinned or generally worked on dozens of times by blokes in spikes, still going strong, they're trees not baby pandas.
oh and I often use the other end of my climbing line for light lowering.

Spiked Palm tree (coconut).
Palms don't compartmentalize like true trees. Its not guaranteed that this will happen, but not uncommon to find a rotted out Palm that's got spike marks all over it.
One neighborhood lost a ton of trees to a guy stealing coconuts with dirty spikes on, spread some disease. Most cases look like the spike brings insects, then peckers and finally they just start rotting out. WAS supposed to trim this one today but decided to take it out instead because it's leaning towards the house and over a commonly used walkway.
u7yne5u7.jpg

I always wear spikes, pruning or not, I've seen and worked on trees in London that have been topped or thinned or generally worked on dozens of times by blokes in spikes, still going strong, they're trees not baby pandas.
oh and I often use the other end of my climbing line for light lowering.
Troll, looking to start drama. Wont happen............. guud bye

Latest posts

Back