Whip the ends of beeline for e2e?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered 20 feet of 8mm beeline and it came with a notice that you have to whip stitch both ends of it before use, to prevent the core "creeping" out of the cover.

I was just going to cut short lengths and use as e2e split tail, but with fishermans knots instead of splicing. (I can't splice)

Do you only have to whip the ends if you are splicing it?

Thanks

I think that what you have to do when you cut beeline you have to lock the cover to the core or its going to milk. with a splice or brummel your going to lock it any ways. but i might be wrong

A little tape on the ends and then a little bit of super glue dropped onto the exposed ends. Works great.

My 2 cents. Although I splice my own flip lines, Eye to eye prusiks are so cheap that I wouldn't even bother to tie my own. Besides that fisherman's knots are bulky and depending on your setup they can get in the way. E2E's are small and unobtrusive which makes them superior. :hmm3grin2orange:

tape and super glue is the way to go, or you can get a diquid to dip them in from sailing shops. You cannot melt this rope with heat, which is how you would normally bond core to sheath with most ropes. It simply doesnt melt, I tried.

Shaun

My prussik cord said to do the same thing. I've been using it as an e2e for a few months with only the fishermans knot and it has not milked, so I assume you'll be fine. As far as splice being superior, with wear the eyes on a splice become looser on the biner. Fishermans knot can be tightend whereas the splice cannot. Not a big deal for some people though.

Back