Whisper Chipper Starter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jockey34

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1996 Whisper Chipper with a 300 cu in Ford six cylinder but the starter is missing. I thought I might be a standard Ford 6 cylinder truck starter but that isn't correct. Does anyone know what kind or where I can get a starter for this? Thanks!

Did you try a starter from a 1996 ford truck? Mine uses a starter from a 1976 ford f-100 even though the motor was built in the 90's Commercial engines are funny like that.

I tried a starter off of a 1978 F250 with a 300 six and it really doesn't even fit. I ground on the starter housing to make it fit but it isn't right. I'm thinking they used a different starter? This appears to be a commercial bellhousing. Any other ideas?

Jockey34 said:
I recently purchased a 1996 Whisper Chipper with a 300 cu in Ford six cylinder but the starter is missing. I thought I might be a standard Ford 6 cylinder truck starter but that isn't correct. Does anyone know what kind or where I can get a starter for this? Thanks!

Making a few calls, maybe to like Whisper even if it is just to get a part number you can x-refrance, next place would be a boat parts supplier, a good parts guy should be able to match something up, be prepared to count the ring-rear teeth and note the mounting pad / bell-housing.
Commercial engines are a trip, as some aplications even turn the other way.

Be extra carful starting it, take the plugs out , shoot oil into the cylinders, take the oil sender out and check for a good oil flow or pressure at crank speed, before you put the plugs back take a compression test if yu want,,,,,,, I don't know the story behind your new/used chipper, but one of my biggest peeve are the shisters out there that would pull a starter from a bad engine, one that was making metel or noisey, just to trick a potintial buyer into thinking it just needs a starter?

Kevin

Last edited:
What you could do, is get the numbers on the block of the engine itself, and go to a Ford dealer, have them look up the starter for that motor. it may be an idea worth checking out.

Lawn Masters said:
What you could do, is get the numbers on the block of the engine itself, and go to a Ford dealer, have them look up the starter for that motor. it may be an idea worth checking out.

Ford tractor dealer would probably be a better bet since most of these are commercial engines.

Back