White Ash abnormal buds with half purple/black leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonb444

Reaction score
I have 3 white ash trees in my backyard. Two of them appear to be fine, but one of them has a dark purple-ish color on approx 30-40% of the leaves. Some leaves get completly covered with the color while some others have as little as 10% coverage. This is the first spring since I've bought this house, so I just got to see the tree bud and it looks really strange. I attatched a picture of it. The large bud is the abnormal one. I thought that maybe that tree was just in a different stage than the other trees, but now I've realized that isn't true, they look completely different. The normal trees never had buds that were that color, or large, and now they are already on their way.

If anyone can tell me what this is called, that would be a great start. Is this the difference between male and female plants? what's with the leaves then? I'm not opposed to cutting it down and having a fat stack of firewood for a while either. I don't know if it's a disease or a hybrid plant of an autumn purple tree? Any help would be awesome. Let me know if you can't see the picture, it's my first time posting here. Thanks!

Jon

Last edited:
Back