Mature Raywood Ash Care?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudonym

Reaction score
I purchased my home three years ago. I have a lovely Raywood Ash in my backyard. I don't know the age of my tree, but it may have been planted when the house was new, about 35 years ago. The trunk is approximately 14" in diameter and it's perhaps 40 feet tall.

The first autumn I had the tree, the leaves changed to the expected and beautiful wine/purple color and fell nearly at all once in October. Last year, the tree did not change color at all, it remained fully green and leaves fell slowly starting in late November through to early December. This year it is now mid-October and leaves are still fully green, with only a few starting to fall.

Can anyone tell me why my tree is no longer changing color? How often I should fertilize it (and with what fertilizer)? How often I should have the tree service out to prune it? Does it need any drench or sprays?

Any information you can give me on how to properly care for this beautiful tree is most appreciated.

Kind regards.

On site visit by a qualified arborist is always best. In my area weather conditions (rain, temperature) will factor in when and how much color you get. Fertilization depends on soil and what nutrients are lacking. A soil test would determine that. Around here most of the lawn services put on so much nitrogen that you certainly don't need to add any of that.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't a clue how to find a qualified arborist in my area. Is this someone I could contact from the university ag extension? Angie's list? Is there a resource here on this board? Sorry for so many questions. If there is a link or site you can point me to with more information on finding someone qualified? I appreciate any more help. Kind regards. "clueless"

Try the "find an arborist" section on the ISA website. You can search by zip code and with X amount of miles from you. This can sometimes tell you if folks specialize in certain types of tree work

Thank you for your reply. I haven't a clue how to find a qualified arborist in my area. Is this someone I could contact from the university ag extension? Angie's list? Is there a resource here on this board? Sorry for so many questions. If there is a link or site you can point me to with more information on finding someone qualified? I appreciate any more help. Kind regards. "clueless"

Here, http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx

Jeff

Latest posts

Back