White bud dieback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck1s

Reaction score
I have two white buds, both with 2" trunks, that are exhibiting the same type of dieback. They have been in the ground for nearly two years now. Both have (nearly had) bifurcated trunks (or whatever you call them) and on each of them, one trunk (branch) is dying.

The leaves are turning yellow and brown. I'm going to prune the limb, but is there anything else I should do?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with White Bud, I do know Red Bud. Can anyone help me out with a possible genus and species?
New plantings that have trouble after a few years make me think of a planting issue, or soil compatibility, particularly soil pH.
First look at planting depth, there should be a nice root flare showing. Then look for twine or other stuff wrapped around the trunk.
Is there the proper sunlight for the species? Is it getting too much or not enough water?
Some pictures would help.

It is Cercis canadensis 'alba'. As I was pruning one of the limbs, I noticed a girdling about 1 foot up the branch. I think this is evidence of a fungal infection.

I can't see anything like that on the other limb, however. I'll try to get a picture up later.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back