White pine borers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last fall, I had an Eastern White pine (about 4" diameter, 20' tall) die in a matter of 2 weeks. It wasn't until I cut it down that I realized that borers had gotten to it.

Now, looking at my remaining white pines, it appears that they all have spots on the bark where egg niches were made, so I'm afraid I'm going to have a bunch of dead pines.

What are these borers, and how can I kill them?

The pines are mixed in with Austrians that I am starting to see Diplodia on, so I need to save as many as I can! HELP!??

Dan

We used to have a product here for borers, it contained Lindane I believe, the current product contains Endosulfan. They may be appropriate for you.

Dan,
Have you tried digging any of the stumps out yet? I would bet that that you will find girdling roots to be the cause of death and the borers just attacking a stressed tree. Mrs. Sl has lost two of hers in the last two years that had the same symtoms. Did some checking and found that a lot of the White pines have problems with girdling roots if they weren't properly planted :(.
Dad

Back