White pines I need help!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franz weidinger

Reaction score
I bought 11 white pines exactly a year ago. Some had a bad side from them being to close together at the farm. In the spring and early to mid summer they looked great. Getting taller and greener. Now some are still doing good, some needles falling in the interior but outer look good. I read that if it's only inner needles falling it's ok every couple years. Here's the problem a couple have brown needles in top and all over I don't know if there in shock or dead or what to do!? I will admit my yard has alot of shade and the ones doing the worst get the most shade. I will include some pictures. Please help they are 10 foot pines I thought they would do good in my yard and so did the people at Nursary because so many pines pop up natural.

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_151348904.jpg
    IMG_20171020_151348904.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20171020_151355302.jpg
    IMG_20171020_151355302.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20171020_151401065_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171020_151401065_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
From the photos they don;t look good. Way too much brown. Looks shady from the photos, quite a shock to be transplanted. Going from full sun at the nursery to partial shade as a large transplant would add to the shock of transplanting.

I feel like such and idiot not watering them in July and August. I've watered them alot in last week I'm hoping there not a lost cause
Nothing is ever a lost cause , there are however painful learning experiences. You can try and see but they look pretty much done or toast. My recommendation would be dogwood or other shade loving species and a soaker hose 3 foot away from the stem to encourage spreading roots and proper mulching all at planting time. Then in times of drought just turn on the soakers a few hours and wollah, of course you could get timers etc but i'm cheap :p

Latest posts

Back