Who, anybody wear the gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a lot and I hate ear muffs. A few years ago the cool guys started showing up with custom fit ear plugs. They were very expensive at first but you can get them done at cabelas or a gun show for under 100 bucks. One of my best investments to date. They are so comfortable you don't feel them.They don't get all hot and sweaty like muffs, they dont catch on things like muffs. Less bulk so you can wear a hat in winter with no issues. Safety glasses don't get mashed against your head either.

I believe you can order a DIY kit on Amazon for around 20 if you want to try them. Radians is the brand I have tried. I use them all the time when cutting the grass, line trimming, using the saw. Love them.

They are a great option but need to be refitted/checked yearly as your ears keep growing. Ear muffs are by far the best hearing protection. My last workplace had a department that sole purpose was to keep the 850 blokes safe, that meant having our respirators fitted properly, spot inspections to make sure your PPE was up to snuff and the most feared person on staff was the health and safety team. They had the power to send you home, from the cleaning staff to the General Manager.

Ear muffs, Chaps, either sun glasses or the screened glasses, gloves, and sometimes a hard hat.

Ear muffs - When you're running a any saw I like ear muffs, however not when felling a tree. I like to hear what is going on up there!

Chaps- seen too may pics!, plus it keeps your pants clean

Glasses - Depends on if my sun glasses keep on fogging up!

Gloves - you touch a lot of wood, when you cut firewood, I'm allergic to poison ivy!

Hard hat - I like one when I'm felling. Had too may dead limbs come out and nearly hit me!

Full rig. Never used to use anything but earplugs, but now the whole monte, combo helmet, boots, cutting pants. Not from any particular accident, just from thinking, cut for decades, why push my luck? Skip buying another used saw, bought the gear, use it. Feels good actually to get suited up to work. By the time the gear is on, I'm focused and ready to rock.

I got those bugz goggle lookin things from baileys for summer..they arent bad if you dont mind lookin like you left the pool for work.

Has anyone tried the full wrap labonville chaps ?

My 2 pairs i have now are on their last leg and i was lookin at those and the oregon ones that zip to the knee...

Any opinions ?

Ive never been able to tolerate chainsaws (or lawn mowers, weed whackers...) without hearing protection. So I'll say 99% of the time ear plugs or muffs on helmet. Even test runs/tuning

Safety glasses or screen on helmet 99% of the time.

Chaps 98% of the time. I was using a work saw (346xp) with an idle speed that was too fast (this was 7 or 8 years ago, before I knew anything about saws) and nicked my pants over my left thigh as I finished a cut. Scary!!!

Most everyone I work with thinks I'm crazy for suiting up every time I cut something. But I don't care. I've seen chainsaw wounds in person and want none of that on my body

Yep.
I got those bugz goggle lookin things from baileys for summer..they arent bad if you dont mind lookin like you left the pool for work.

Has anyone tried the full wrap labonville chaps ?

My 2 pairs i have now are on their last leg and i was lookin at those and the oregon ones that zip to the knee...

Any opinions ?
Yep. Have two pair. Won't cut with out them. Good quality set of chaps.

I wear a hard hat, steel toe boots, and chaps when felling. When bucking or limbing I add Bugzeyes goggles and gloves. When testing saws I usually wear chaps but not always. (cutting in my yard on test logs). I usually don't wear eye protection when felling (probably should) and ALWAYS wear ear protection whenever running a saw for any reason.

Repel Sportsman (40% deet) seems to work well for me.. never came inside with any ticks IF i remember to use it.

Yeah tick repellent is a good idea. I just listened to Avril Lavigne talk, cry really, about her battle with Lyme disease. Kinda makes me glad to not be chasing cows as much as I used to.

Regarding chaps in the heat, on fires I am sometimes required to wear two pairs of pants under my chaps. I really never notice the extra burden of chaps in the heat. They will be wet from sweat on the inside but not a problem. I'm no tough guy, they just don't seem that hot. YMMV.

Regarding chaps in the heat, on fires I am sometimes required to wear two pairs of pants under my chaps. I really never notice the extra burden of chaps in the heat. They will be wet from sweat on the inside but not a problem. I'm no tough guy, they just don't seem that hot. YMMV.

Exactly right. If you wear them all day every day after awhile you get used to them. Sweating is just part of the deal.
Still feels good to take them off at the end of the day though.

I've watch a lot of videos, and other then factory videos, nobody wears chaps, helmets, eye protection, hearing protection(?), or even gloves. Some even wearing shorts and a tee-shirt, Yikes!

Living dangerously?

All but the helmet. Probably should pick one up...

Muffs, hardhat, screen, dedicated chainsaw trousers, chainsaw
boots with steel toes, gloves and I would never dare to bring a saw close too wood without wearing any of these.

Had too bad injuries in my life and don't want to add a chainsaw related one.

Didn't know there was safety gear till last year :rolleyes:
All I use is sun glasses, hat ,gloves and stihl toed boots. :eek:
But I do have a healthy respect for chainsaws and don't cut in a hurry.
I have all day as I only cut my own fire wood. ( not a speed deem on )

30DB Earmufs all of the time. I have most of my hearing after 24 years in the Army on Tanks and other tracked vehicles as well as all of the shooting. Balistic eyeware all the time. Chaps most of the time. GLoves all the time. Whites boots or steel toe Wolverines all the time. Hard hat when falling.

Hal

ruined a pair of jeans and cut my leg - I always wear chaps cept when testing a saw
had a pecker pole, not the one I was cutting, hit a glancing blow on my head and shoulder, knocked me down and when came to was sitting next to my running chainsaw about 2" from my leg. was sore with an extreme headache for weeks - I always wear hardhat when felling plus learned to look up, again
couldn't count the number of times I've been hit in the face with chips - I always wear safety glasses
trying to save what little hearing I still have - I always wear muffs
rarely wear gloves unless its cold; prefer to keep my callouses up to date
steal toed boots - sometimes wear them, if its cold; they're insulated and heavy
I've tested fate too many times and still came out ahead. done testing, gonna do what I know's right for me

course you may be one of them people that are too stubborn to learn from others' experience. like I was. experience is a hard teacher

Latest posts

Back