Who has a modded muffler for an 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New saw (to me). Want to find some more power.

Would actually like to change out the mufflers on both my 066 and the 880. Would like to keep the functionality of the chain stop with the new mufflers in place. Had an issue with that on a 066 muffler before.

Thanks,

Hal

Wolfcsm, Is running that 880 not for the faint of heart? Man you could ride that thing to the woods? BTW from one Vet to another thank you for your service!................Jeremy

Wolfcsm, Is running that 880 not for the faint of heart? Man you could ride that thing to the woods? BTW from one Vet to another thank you for your service!................Jeremy

The 880 is a new toy for me. There are probably only three trees in Texas that I could not cut with my 066. I just wanted to see what the extra 30 cc's would be like. It will be a great conversation piece at the December Arkansas GTG though.

Hal

BobL has muffler modded his 880, I think if you do a search you can find it on how he did it, though I think his was mainly for milling purposes to redirect the exhaust.

Brother there is a oak tree here in Willis TX that you would probably enjoy running that 880 through. And yes that is a great conversation piece.....I wish there was a good saw shop here in East Texas that would do modifications on Stihl's

Brother there is a oak tree here in Willis TX that you would probably enjoy running that 880 through. And yes that is a great conversation piece.....I wish there was a good saw shop here in East Texas that would do modifications on Stihl's

Going up to the Arkansas GTG in December, to see if there is anything to challange the 880.

Don't think a Stihl shop would be able to do mods and stay a Stihl shop. I would think there are some places in East Texas or West Lousiana that would be able to do some work. But it might be better to send a saw to someone who has a bit of experience and have them do it.

Hal

Yes this is true, Stihl wouldnt mod their saws. I just recieved my dual port this morning at work, That with a tune will be as far as I take the 460.....I need to learn the basics anyhow...........This site has given me a wealth of info.......Jeremy

Yes this is true, Stihl wouldnt mod their saws. I just recieved my dual port this morning at work, That with a tune will be as far as I take the 460.....I need to learn the basics anyhow...........This site has given me a wealth of info.......Jeremy

How do you like the dual port muffler?

Hal

I modded an 880 muffler by cutting out a rectangle on the front and welding 2 pipes to a plate that I later bolted back onto the muffler front,it woke that saw up like you wouldn't believe! I have enlarged the port like the posted pic but it was not enough!

very happy

Wolfcsm, I had a chance to run the saw on 3 big oaks last saturday, I still did some tuning on it and it really woke it up......Im still power hungry though and was looking at the BB kits but after some reading I have decided not to do that.....If I could find someone who I could trust to do a "woods ported" job on it that would be great.....That would be the stopping point for the 460......Jeremy

Wolfcsm, I had a chance to run the saw on 3 big oaks last saturday, I still did some tuning on it and it really woke it up......Im still power hungry though and was looking at the BB kits but after some reading I have decided not to do that.....If I could find someone who I could trust to do a "woods ported" job on it that would be great.....That would be the stopping point for the 460......Jeremy

One of the members Brad Snelling does saw work and has a good reputation here. Might talk to him.

blsnelling - also a sponsor of the site.

Hal

Last edited:
Back