Who has the biggest pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Scott.

Curly, my wood was in that pile until I put forks on my tractor, then it all got palletized in 1/3cord increments. Now the wood goes right on the pallets, and put out to pasture to dry.

3137401408_5c23f32c23.jpg

Got another one a tad more than half that size we're drawing out of now.

This is the first year that I have had the building. I love it. I didn;t have any mold at all this year. The wood seemed to seasoned very well. I have had a lot of repeat customers and they rave about it. It's a very clean product. It hasn't seen rain in a year. I was watching for mold this year and didn't see any.
Scott

Putting the volume of wood my brother has under cover would be impractical. 2000+ Cords would require a pretty darn big building, and that would seriously cut into the profits. :dizzy:

He has toyed with the idea of palletizing the wood but again, his volumes would require such a huge outlay of $$$ that he is reluctant to do it. Right now kid labor to stack wood in the summer is pretty easy to come by, and the kids are also looking for money in the fall so he can get truck loaders for pretty cheap. He has a group of kids that get off the bus at his house, they load trucks for a few hours, and then their parents pick them up on their way home from work. He does have pretty high turnover of kids because it is hard work. Bro calls it day-care that pays the parents. :cheers:

QUOTE=Steve NW WI;2041574]Pile? I don't know. But as far as stacked and covered, I think Kevin in Ohio has us all beat by a mile. Here's the link to his post:

Kevin's stash

Here's a pic of ONE of his sheds full of wood:

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

We emptied one out of the seven sections out of that shed this year. Filled it back up plus more as we cut most of December. Good thing as there was basically no snow and could go constant. Be rough now with 18 inches of snow here. When I figured it up it was 187 cord under roof now.

We have little problem with mold and some has been stored 8 years. Try to rotate but we normally use out of the easy load and fill places first. Some of it is on concrete and some on dirt or gravel. If you run a perimeter drainage tile around the outside of your building/storage area you'll cut out a lot of problems. We do get some powder post beetles occasionally but I've always figurred what they eat is trivial compared to the junk the wood would be if it was outside.

I can't imagine you commercial guys running 2000 cord. It's just me and my 70 year old Dad and when we do 50 cord in a year I'm pretty wore out. s=seems we average around 25 per year. I'd be interested to know how many guys are on that 2000 cord crew. I wouldn't stack it either if I was selling. Might do a pole barn with no sides to keep it dry but that's just me.

My thoughts have always been get it while the weather is fit. We've been on the other end with no wood 30 years ago and vowed we'd never let it happen again.

View attachment 125693

attachment.php

Local outfit near me (Burell Landscape) had a corn crib kind of thing going for firewood. Telephone poles set about 10' apart with horizontal cables and pig fence. Bottom made out of 2x dimension lumber and set up about 2' above the ground. They could put the wood in the crib to about 25' high. No roof on it so it got all wet during the rainy season and thus got moldy.

I always thought that would be the perfect system if it had a roof on it. Plenty of air circulating all around the wood and a roof to keep the water off.

My idea now is to trade high volume for high price. I do a lot of it myself. My father helps also. If I can really raise my price per cord then I can sell fewer cords. That is the main reason I am buying the Kiln. If you start paying a lot of people to help your profit are gone pretty quick. I do like the idea of kid stackers. The problem is a lot of them around here would walk away with things. That is also the reason I don't allow people to pick up wood. I'm afraid they will inventory and come back later to steal. Plus you don't have to worry about people standing you up.

Scott

Local outfit near me (Burell Landscape) had a corn crib kind of thing going for firewood. Telephone poles set about 10' apart with horizontal cables and pig fence. Bottom made out of 2x dimension lumber and set up about 2' above the ground. They could put the wood in the crib to about 25' high. No roof on it so it got all wet during the rainy season and thus got moldy.

I always thought that would be the perfect system if it had a roof on it. Plenty of air circulating all around the wood and a roof to keep the water off.

Are you a St Croix valley guy?

Once upon a time there were 4 boys in the High School hallway between classes. One of them began to shout: "NO, MINE IS LONGER". Then the others, " NO, YOU FOOL, MINE IS LONGER THAN YOURS !". They all then removed their belts to compare sizes.:sucks:

Moral of the story about "Who has the biggest pile" ??:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyZXnpO8Jew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GyZXnpO8Jew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>them maine guys:hmm3grin2orange::deadhorse: tom trees

i usally have about 4 to 6 cords but i amall out. I cant get to the wood. Thats alright i have a trick up my sleeve come tommorow:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2:

i usally have about 4 to 6 cords but i amall out. I cant get to the wood. Thats alright i have a trick up my sleeve come tommorow:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2:

tables and chairs?

Back