Who Heats with Wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, the annual Who Heats With Wood Poll

1. Use 100% wood heat with wood stove(s), no fossil backup.

2. Use 100% wood heat OWB, no backup.

3. Wood heat (stoves or OWB) about 50% to 75%, use ____ fossil fuel.

4. Intermittent wood heat < 50% of the time--weekends or romance--
use the thermostat mostly.

5. Zero % wood heat: it smells, pollutes, kills trees, too much effort, rather
give my $$$$$ to the Saudi Royal Family.

I guess I'm a 3. Burn about 200 gals of oil per season instead of 800 gals the previous owner burned. Let's see 600 gals times 3+ bucks a gallon; works for me.

Two stoves. One goes 24/7 Thanksgiving to Easter. The other goes on when the temps are in the low teens and down, during the early fall and late spring or for ambiance (very pretty VC Winterwarm).

Have both stoves going today (company coming for dinner and they will be here in an hour) and I am going to have to open a window soon. No oil burning today.

heat my water with oil only and turn the baseboard down to 50 for the winter,1400sq.ft. two floors with harman 200 in the upstairs, heats the house with 5 cords a year that I cut of my own land.

Have a indoor add-on wood furnace that runs 98% of my heat. Forced air natural gas furnace. Keep the digital programmable thermostat set for a back-up. Would probably turn the thermostat off all together if it weren't for kids age: 9,7,4.

Matt

2400 sq ft home
- 95+% wood w/ Blaze King Princess woodstove.
- Convectair electric wall heaters in far bedrooms / nursery (it's hard to get the wood stove heat back here and with a new baby we want to ensure the nursery is warm
- old inefficient propane-fired forced-air furnace that we keep set at 60f just in case.....it very rarely kicks on as long as I do my part with the woodstove (we'll sometimes use the recirculation fan of this system (w/ no heat) to circulate warm woodstove air from warm parts of the house to colder parts).

Last edited:
The beauty of living alone is I do not give a rats ass if the house gets cold while I am gone, or if I am here for that matter.

Heat is to keep pipes from freezing, it's not for people.

I have oil fired boiler for back up./

But I burn a "Magic Box" OWB It heats my house to a sweltering whatever I set each stat. I am cold natured. so I keep my house pretty warm.. 80 is the minimum in the office. Bedroom can not be set to over 76 or the wife complains.. Living room 75-80 depending on who adjusted the stat last

100 % With The Charmaster Wood Furnace, And Dutchwest. I Have Electric Back Up In The Shop, And Gas In The House. It Will Run Only If Im Gone For More Than A Day. I Figure I Save 3 To 4 Thou And Year For Both Structures

H

I can't sleep if I am warm so I keep my bedroom area cooler, if it's above 66 I get too hot to sleep.

Last winter, before I was heating with wood, I kept the house 55-58 all winter, it was no fun.

#2 heat the house, workshop, and domestic hot water. No oil fired furnace or electric heat for backup. The only backup if for some reason the owb should go down, is a woodstove in the basement, and one in the livingroom. The way we formally heated the house before the owb. Wood has been the sole source of heat for us since 1991. The owb is about 2 years old.

Read again, I HAVEN'T BOUGHT HEATING OIL SINCE 1990!!!!!

Just moved into an old farm house and didnt have time to get anything set up for burning wood yet. Been here 4 months and already spent $1500 for propane since middle of october. Well first fill up was $750 got down to 20% 2 weeks ago had it refilled and it was another $750. So I'm sitting on a mostly full tank but you can bet I will have OWB installed by next fall. From the way things look it will pay for itself the first winter :jawdrop: ok maybe two winters

Wood stove 95% of the time, electric baseboard heat down around 50 hardly ever used. I heat about 1500 sq. ft house with wood.
Tom

Just moved into an old farm house and didnt have time to get anything set up for burning wood yet. Been here 4 months and already spent $1500 for propane since middle of october. Well first fill up was $750 got down to 20% 2 weeks ago had it refilled and it was another $750. So I'm sitting on a mostly full tank but you can bet I will have OWB installed by next fall. From the way things look it will pay for itself the first winter :jawdrop: ok maybe two winters
WOW REALLY SUCKS TO BE YOU. I THINK WITH THOSE KIND OF BILLS ID BE TRYING SOMETHING RIGHT NOW. I FEEL BAD FOR YOU

#2 100% wood had the propane pig removed have outdoor woodstove heatmore 200 for 3 rd winter heats 2500 2 story farm house and garrage when needed works great only concern is when power goes off in mid say feb with temps below 0 with high winds big ice storm 2 years ago good thing for old junk generator saved the day. i burn lots of big pieces of wood.:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :monkey:

Last edited:
Back