Who here cuts firewood exclusively with vintage saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My main firewood saw is a McCulloch 10-10s that the original owner bought in 1984. The other one I use regularly is a Pro Mac 10-10 from the 1970's that was my dads. My limbing saw is a Craftsman branded Poulan 2000 that I bought new in the late 80's. I take my other relics out occasionally to excercise them.
Although I love the pro model Stihls and other modern saws, I just haven't seen the need to spring that much cash for 5 or 6 cords of firewood a year.
I was just wondering how many of you use classic magnesium and aluminum exclusively for all your firewood needs.

Does a Stihl 038 mag count? It's been my primary firewood saw for years and suspect it is about an 85-86 or so. It is not a magII. I recently picked up a 6401 that will become my primary saw when I add the new p&c.

As need arises I still pull out the 2100 and 181. If my 480's hadn't been stolen I would probably use them also.

This is the first year for me on a new saw. Previous years I was using my dad's old saw a Homelite XL400, rebuilt twice. Needs it again, but I haven't found a piston and rings.

Also use the little homelite xl's.

I guess my 25 year old Poulan 3400 is vintage, still works great. My fav is a 10 year old Husky 346XP, not vintage though.

My main gun is a Promac 700. It finally let me down. The bar adjusting nut broke in half. $6.99 for a replacement. Still waiting, hopefully it will be here by the weekend.

Not exclusively but I do enjoy running my promac 850 any time I get into the 18"+ diameter stuff. Just got an 075 and I'm really anxious to put it to work. I must admit that having a modern small saw sure is nice for limbing but the old iron sure is fun to run.

Not me, I have a few vintage saws that I like to mess with, I enjoy their simple and rugged construction but I enjoy my newer, lighter, and faster cutting saws when I am cutting firewood.

I had cut with an old 041 farmboss before I got my other saws a couple years ago. I love the thing, but its heavy.

My dad...:dizzy:...He uses an old echo 452VL...

This is the first year for me on a new saw. Previous years I was using my dad's old saw a Homelite XL400, rebuilt twice. Needs it again, but I haven't found a piston and rings.

Also use the little homelite xl's.

Here is a very clean old 400...:)

attachment.php

I used to. When I started out I bought a Husky L65 after I found out the little 137 Husky couldn't cut down or up everything. Now my primary saws are 288, 359, 260 Pro. Everything else that runs comes out for excerise here and there. At the saw shop the owner told a story of a old timer who cut for years with a Homelite Zip. He said it was hard to carry on a conversation with him, but he could sure tell when his saw wasn't running right.

Last edited:
i do,,, i was using my newest saw this morning on some red oak,,, 240 homelite with a muffler mod,,, i'm getting down to the big wood at the bottom of the pile, so it will be time for the 3.7 roper, or the ported/muff modded poulan 3300... you can see my other saw in the avatar,,,

Hmmm, well if I was a sadist masochist. Then I would run nothing but vintage saw! LOL I am not, so only modern saws. With nice & easy on the hands and body anti-vib systems! It is nice to mess with old mac's , but no way in hell am I going to take them firewood cutting!

Mike

Hmmm, well if I was a sadist masochist. Then I would run nothing but vintage saw! LOL I am not, so only modern saws. With nice & easy on the hands and body anti-vib systems! It is nice to mess with old mac's , but no way in hell am I going to take them firewood cutting!

Mike

Well said, Mike! :D

I mainly use my snellerized MS361 but sometimes its fun to use my 1984 husky rancher or the 1951 Homelite Zip 5

Latest posts

Back