Who here cuts firewood exclusively with vintage saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to cut all the time with 032 stihl. One heck of a reliable firewood saw. When I purchased my 361 it was all over for long days with the old 032.

I cut 40-50 cords a year back in the mid 80's with a Pro Mac 850. I loved the saw, but my hands tingled for hours, and my ears rang for days-hearing protection, who heard of that!! I still love to run the 850, but I would rather grab my brother's Stihl 460.
Will

Not exclusively. The 028S and 038M are 25 years old or older and could be considered vintage, but the 026 and the two larger saws are newer, and 026 and 034S also get the nod for firewood.

Not sure how "vintage" it is, but my Husky Special 50 (1989) sees a lot of use. Very reliable saw.

i cut for years with my old mac 10-10 and still have and love it, you cant beat the sound of that saw. i stopped using it because i lost the air filter and cant find it.......... it vibrated loose i set it on the trailer and forgot about it till i got back to the house. its crying by itself in the woods somewhere, may the chainsaw Gods have mercy on it.:cry:

now i am running a "newer" shindiawa 500, not new but at least it has a chain brake.:greenchainsaw:

I cut about 5 full cords each year with my three Macs: 10-10A, Pro Mac 10-10, Pro Mac 55. They get the job done and the neighbors always know when I'm cutting!

Last edited:
Old SAWS

Runing three Mac's, Eager Beaver, Pro Mac 10-10, Mac 10-10 Auto, an old Stihl015, finding it hard to find parts. And a 020av,that needs a carb.
Have two new Makitas (back ups) a 034 and a 6001 that I changer over to Oregon bars and chain so as to keep my chain inventory less complicated.
Rotate all saws and take two saws to every job. Never have to go home for a bigger saw.
FRED M
HEATING WITH WOOD IS NOT A HOBBY,IT'S A COMMITMENT.

We had an old saw GTG back in May, and we came up with the following definition of old saws as a target for that event: On the market before 1980 and no plastic gas tanks.

Using that definition, I cut about a third of my wood with vintage saws. Most of that is with my older Jonsereds, (49SP, 52E, 621, 70E), which get a fair amount of use. But those saws don't really feel that old to me, as they were a bit ahead of their time back then.

I also make it a point to take out my Homies and Macs and give them a workout, and like a couple of you guys I have a Pro-Mac 850 that I enjoy running. Have a few XL-12's and a nice XL-800 that I got from weimedog. Today, I'm taking a Lombard Comango with me that I've been wanting to try out.

I usually cut wood a pick-up load at a time, so the anti-vibe thing is never an issue with me. I always have a newer saw with me as a back up, but honestly, the old stuff is generally just as reliable as the new saws. One time it went the other way. Was cutting with a friend; I snapped a starter rope on the first pull and he hit a rock on his second cut. So we cut up the whole load with a Super-XL I brought along.

used to use a 7-10 mac for firewood until the intake cracked and the topend went on it. It was a pretty good saw, except for the fact that it sometimes would rattle itself apart.

I have cut a lot of firewood with pm700's. I very rarely go to the woods without at least one of them. If I had not bought my ms441, I would probably use a 700 most of the time. My father in law and his brother cut all there wood with 700's. They have been running them since the 70's and I don't think they would use a newer saw if you gave it to them.

I do all my cutting with vintage saws. I run a Jonsereds M36 (have the sales reciept from 1975) also have a Jonsereds 52 and an 80 that are both pre-1980. The 80 is heavy as hell, but it seems like there is nothing it won't cut. I've had my 27 in. bar burried and the thing won't quit.

Back