who prefers a saddle with small D rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tim, i guess i should have just accepted your answer and kept my mouth shut. but i was curious as to why, thats all. i was not attacking you. peace and stay safe. ken

The one time I get into trouble with small d rings is when I try to move my lanyard to the center.
I already have a carabiner holding my prussic, then a rope snap holding the end of the climbing line, now try to add another carabiner for the lanyard, and rope snap for that to those little d rings.
:eek:

Treeclimber 165,

If you want to see what progressive climbers use for gear there are many ways. Do you have a free subscription to Tree Care Industry magazine? If not, go to http://www.natlarb.com/
and fill out the form. Any climber who doesn't own, and read, the Tree Climber's Companion is short changing themselves. Of course there have been small changes in the two years since Jeff wrote the second edition. TCC is the best introduction to progressive, modern climbing around. I know that the Florida chapter of the ISA has coordinated trainings in the past. Are you an active member? Even if you don't compete in the chapter tree climbing championships you should attend or better yet, volunteer to staff the event. Working as a technician or judge is an excellent way to see new climbing techniques. The Southern chapter also has a pretty good educational program.

I really can't understand how so much chatter about climbing and rigging takes place on this highly technical medium, the internet, but so many of the climbers are still climbing with techniques and equipment that is the equivalent to communicating with a tin can and a string. Bring up the technology in your life in a consistant manner. There are also other discussion forums besides AS if you want to get a broader exposure to new skills. Follow my signature to another site. The International Society of Arboriculture has a good site too.

Tom

I climb with a ness saddle with small d's and would not want anything larger. When I purchased the saddle I told them I wanted the larger D's, Sophia talked me into trying the smaller D's, and I would never go back.
Brian, I climb with all the gadgets (as many as the climb requires), split tail, distal with micro pulley on my lanyard, and friction savers (most of the time). I most always take up 2 extra webbing slings and 2-3 extra biners. If you ever are in Jax give me a call and we can go climb a tree.
Greg

In the winter I have problems finding the small D's under my jacket. I started climing in an old Kummerling saddle with huge rings, when i first went to samll rings, I loved them. Next saddle will have bigger ones.

Brian, Take some time off and come to TCI in NOV. By adding a few bits and peices to your sysrtem you will greatly effect your productivity and reduce your effort. I started playing with the tress hitches a few months ago and have narrowed it down to Distal/Swabish. So much less effort comming back off a limbwalk. And on the recrotching issue, What Little Kenny Said.

At the trade show you can look at a lot of different systems and meet people who use them and be able to try them out at least on a rope on the ceiling. If you stay for the SSA rec climb, you can try stuff out in a tree.

I was hunting through the warehouse today for a Pro Series belt and bottom, for instructions I am making. I came across some large D ringed Pro Series Waist belts. We had 10 or so large ones. I didn't come across the medium section, so I don't know how many, if any, we have. That made me think of another advantage of the interchangablily of the Pro Series. If you could use small D's one day, but large D's the next, you can have the two different waist belts, and just one bottom. Oh well. Just thought I'd mention it.
-Sean

O yes know, Can Do...............

i would never think of writing such a long post.........

or agree on Standing back cooly, trying to soak up what is offered;

What's this about reading between the lines?:rolleyes:

How meany layers can eye hyde there to see?

Wow, i could half fun with that!

O but mostly had to right this to say that JP's post is too long 2!

:angel:

Back