Who said spring is here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimfound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought I was done with the stove for this season...but nope. Just bought a 361 and got to put it to good use this past weekend at a buddy's property. Glad I did - here we are with another cold snap on the east coast. Cut up an oak that was dead standing for who knows how long, on the ground since Christmas. Only the outer 1/2" was punky...the rest was great. Burning it tonight...no smoke comin outta the chimney :rock: Pics aren't terrific (I'm no photographer), but we found a friggin huge Tulip Poplar (I think it was a poplar) that was 6' + across at the base. Anyway, the almost perfectly seasoned oak couldn't have come at a better time.

ps: please ignore that little red saw at the bottom of the first pic.:D

firewood

My buddy standing next to a big tree...don't see too many this big round here

I lit a fire in the stove tonight too. Gotta love New England.

BTW, I'm not sure if that's a tulip or a yellow poplar. The two aren't the same tree. I've got some huge tulip on my land down by the river. I took a bunch to the mill years ago and still have a stack of it in the basement. Some day I might even use it for something!

jim

:hmm3grin2orange:
BTW, I'm not sure if that's a tulip or a yellow poplar. The two aren't the same tree. I've got some huge tulip on my land down by the river. I took a bunch to the mill years ago and still have a stack of it in the basement. Some day I might even use it for something!

jim

aaahhh...may be Rover. But I'm not too sure that folks around here just call a yellow poplar a tulip polar for the heck of it. Maybe when the buds show up I'll get a better idea.

sidenote: the guy who was with me ducked into that crevice in the tree and was able to comfortably stand up inside. He's got maybe some better pics than I do. I told him I saw eyeballs staring back down when the flash went off, and you should have seen him skip out from under that sucker...:p

about 6" here. Just about got rid of it all on my trail out back and now this. I love winter, but only when its winter. I wanna ride now.

Same here, nice fire goin yesterday/last night. Snow today, looks like another one will be needed. First time I remember burning wood in April.

Man, we are ready for spring here to, we got 12 or so inches over the last couple days and it was +5 f here this morning, very January like for us.
Bring on the spring so we can cut some more wood. :blob2:

Same situation here!

A week ago it was very warm and I thought "that might be it for the stove for this season"; but this inner (wiser) voice said "not yet" and it was right, as I lit 'em up again last night. April can bring just about anything. We've abused Mother Nature for so long now that she doesn't know whether to cry or wind her watch! :jester:

bout time the tides turned a bit

we've had about 70 farenheit here in the shade, and blazing sunshine. got a little bit burnt and everything. we didnt even really get a winter in the north east of England. was brilliant today, spent the day on my mate's boat

Cut up an oak that was dead standing for who knows how long, on the ground since Christmas. Only the outer 1/2" was punky...the rest was great. Burning it tonight...no smoke comin outta the chimney :rock: Anyway, the almost perfectly seasoned oak couldn't have come at a better time.

The best thing about the standing dead oaks is the splitting is a breeze.

The best thing about the standing dead oaks is the splitting is a breeze.

Aaahh...so true. Its nice to split wood that just wants to break apart along the straight grain. I've been dealing lately with Locust and, lord help me, ELM. This has been a welcome change!

Well the one good thing about this snow is that it saved me close to 200 bucks. I was gonna rent a chipper to get rid of all the brush i have from clearing. Now i can just light it up and crack open a beer, or two. Gonna need the fire too. Its darn right cold out there.

I lit a fire in the stove on Wednesday and have kept it going since. Even brought another half-jag of wood into the basement last night. Looks like I'll be burning for the next few days anyway. Though we were done with this too. Oh well, beats running the furnace.

Speaking of furnace, I checked the tank last night and we've burned only 90 gallons of propane since September, and we burn it for the hot water, clothes dryer and for cooking.

jim

28 F this morning when I got up. Nice! Had a fire going since yesterday. I'm using up the junk wood at this point. Don't need a lot of heat, but something to knock off the chill in the morning and at night.

Spring ???

Glad I cut enough wood to get me to May :) , and thank God early winter
(and mid winter ) here had very mild temps. When I retired to bed last night it was 17 deg. f ., and windy as heck . Sure puts a damper on the trout fishing :(

I don't have any snow on the ground at my house. Yesterday I went to the area where I cut my firewood. There is still up to two feet of snow in the woods there. Guess I won't be cutting wood for a while! :(

A week ago it was very warm and I thought "that might be it for the stove for this season"; but this inner (wiser) voice said "not yet" and it was right, as I lit 'em up again last night. April can bring just about anything. We've abused Mother Nature for so long now that she doesn't know whether to cry or wind her watch! :jester:

Abused mother nature????/ Please take that crap back to ole Al Gore....its the other way around mother nature is abusing us......watch the discovery channel and find out how long the earth and mother nature have been changing us hint FOREVER!!!!:taped: [/SIZE][/FONT]

Back