Who Was J. Wellington Wimpy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
J. Wellington Wimpy
Wimpy is probably best know for
his consumption of hamburgers,
and anything else if hamburgers
are not available. Here is his famous,
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday
for a Hamburger today." line.
I think I like (or hate) Wimpy best of all the characters. He is indeed a strange mixture of self-absorption, intelligence and courtesy. I am not sure he has any loyalty, but if he does, it would be to Popeye. Like Popeye said about Wimpy, "Frien's is the mos' importink thing on eart', even if ya chan't stan' 'em!"

Wimpy joined the Popeye/Thimble Theater strip in 1931. He has 24 college degrees and a "lofty" IQ. He was originally an anonymous character from "The Five-Fifteen" comic strip as a referee when Popeye began to fight professionally. He was finally given a name and soon became a regular.

According to Bud Sagendorf, in his Popeye, The First Fifty Years, Wimpy was modeled after Bill Schuchert, Segar's kind boss at the Chester Opera House. He to, had a love for hamburgers and would often send Segar out to get them.

you had me on that one Sir Gypo, but we all know your IQ is higher than mine so why wouldn't you know more than me

Back