Who's Good at Grinding Square Chisel Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougNH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have taken a liking to square chisel chain but don't see myself investing close to $1000 in a grinder right now. The local shops in my area can't even do round chisel properly, so that's not even a consideration. Filing is fine, until you hit something. Any board brothers interested in grinding a few for me now and then?

I feel your pain. Square filing can be tedious enough as it is when you haven't hit anything . I'm working on one for a friend that didn't even hit anything - he just let it go too long. About 30 strokes per cutter to get back to a sharp corner. If I wasn't close to done, that baby'd be goin round!

Sometimes if I have one that's too bad, I'll just have it ground round, then go get a new loop of square. As the previous poster mentioned, freight would take the appeal out of it, and that's before you even hit the guy with some 'thank$'.

Shane.

You could always file em round if you can't get the hang of filing square! PM Burvol, I seem to recall him saying he can hand sharpen a pretty mean square chain.

Shipping is prohibitive.

A couple months ago an AS member asked me to send him a few square chains for a upcoming GTG and I made him three loops of Stihl square and even sharpened them up. I think priority shipping was like $14 cause it weighed 5 lbs. I told him no charge...

But then I never heard back from him, even after I PM'd him a few times just to see if he ever received them.

I'm not likely to do that again soon, as it was pretty unsatisfying....

Last edited:
If you round file (or grind) the chain back to good chrome, it is easy to re-square file it. I routinely cut in GOL competitions and part of it is filing a dulled chain, not only for speed, but also for control. The judges take a brand new Oregon CK chain out of the box and run a nice coarse bastard file across the point of each cutter (2-3 times). Competitors have 30 minutes to file the chain to their liking. Most round file because it is easier. I round file back to good chrome and then touch it up with a square file for the extra speed and control. It works great.

Shipping is prohibitive.

A couple months ago an AS member asked me to send him a few square chains for a upcoming GTG and I made him three loops of Stihl square and even sharpened them up. I think priority shipping was like $14 cause it weighed 5 lbs. I told him no charge...

But then I never heard back from him, even after I PM'd him a few times just to see if he ever received them.

I'm not likely to do that again soon, as it was pretty unsatisfying....

Brad,

First the guy that stiffed you should be mentioned if he failed to pay up.

Next

I understand this is water under the bridge now but the chains would go $4.75 Priority in a Flat Rate Envelope with delivery confirmation.

Bill

If you round file (or grind) the chain back to good chrome, it is easy to re-square file it. I routinely cut in GOL competitions and part of it is filing a dulled chain, not only for speed, but also for control. The judges take a brand new Oregon CK chain out of the box and run a nice coarse bastard file across the point of each cutter (2-3 times). Competitors have 30 minutes to file the chain to their liking. Most round file because it is easier. I round file back to good chrome and then touch it up with a square file for the extra speed and control. It works great.

So where are the Game of Logging events held?

Bill

Brad,

I understand this is water under the bridge now but the chains would go $4.75 Priority in a Flat Rate Envelope with delivery confirmation.

Bill

Bill,

I did not use the flat rate envelope, maybe should have. Would it have held three loops totalling about 275 drive links?

I need to learn more about the USPS flat rate. Seems like now that I think about it they have a flat rate box that would have easily held the chains for much less money.

He wanted the chains quick for a GTG and so I put them in a small box and made a quick dash to the post office. I never expected it to cost like $14.75 or I sure would have looked into a cheaper way beforehand. I normally mail much bigger boxes that are relatively light and the UPSP has been the cheapest way to go for me. Guess size doesn't matter to USPS.

Bill

Bill,

I did not use the flat rate envelope, maybe should have. Would it have held three loops totalling about 275 drive links?

I need to learn more about the USPS flat rate. Seems like now that I think about it they have a flat rate box that would have easily held the chains for much less money.

He wanted the chains quick for a GTG and so I put them in a small box and made a quick dash to the post office. I never expected it to cost like $14.75 or I sure would have looked into a cheaper way beforehand. I normally mail much bigger boxes that are relatively light and the UPSP has been the cheapest way to go for me. Guess size doesn't matter to USPS.

Bill

Easily, if they're not individually boxed. A flat rate box for $9.30 will also hold a LOT of chains (70lb weight limit.)

So where are the Game of Logging events held?

Bill

Most events around here are held in Boonville, NY at the Woodsman's Field Days in August. If you log onto the GOL website, the locations of upcoming events is posted. I doubt that the 2009 events are posted yet though.

I found hand filed square ground really slow going until I got (adapted) one of these jigs. My adaptation is further into that post.

This made a big difference in the speed and consistency of filing and then of course in cutting speed.

I don't use square ground chain much any more but when I do I'm glad I have it around.

Back