Why are climbers so expensive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ya I don't get it. I'm a machinest by day and swear I could make them next to nothing ie. cnc equipment. Are they made from some high grade armor or titanium or something? Maybe theres somethin more to it than I know, anyway was just wondering.

Ya I don't get it. I'm a machinest by day and swear I could make them next to nothing ie. cnc equipment. Are they made from some high grade armor or titanium or something? Maybe theres somethin more to it than I know, anyway was just wondering.

They are made from high grade aluminum and steel. They seem to be one piece and pretty thick. $200 isnt bad for them. Considering the R&R that went into them.

And they last for many years, so the cost is spread over a long period. Most will wear out several pairs of straps and pads before ever thinking about changing the irons.

They are a low production part. Heat treated and annealled. ANSI certified for personal support. Have big liability premiums. Low sale volumes.

Well they arent the most demanded products in the world.

Only climbers and very few others are going to buy them in the first place then from there...its not like buying a saw chain where ya

you sharpen both of them...but saws chain were out and you get new ones.

Spikes...can def. last a long, long time.

Joe hit it right on the head.
I'm a machinist also, considering the whole manufacturing process they seem reasonably priced. There probably aren't many of them sold each year, compared to other types of products.

They are a low production part. Heat treated and annealled. ANSI certified for personal support. Have big liability premiums. Low sale volumes.

What kind of machining do you do up in ak. singler? I was just visited Kenai about two years ago. Didn't think there was much of any manufacturing around up there or else I would have dropped some resumes so i could stay.

My background has been primarily in aviation. There are a few machine shops in Anchorage that do oil field related work also. Google "Unique machine" for one that is hiring, there are others listed in the yellow pages also, but I don't know much about them.
I've recently attended an aircraft structural and sheetmetal repair school. There are more opportunities in that sort of work than machining, at least in aviation related work.
So that's where I try and position myself.
I have no first hand knowledge of Unique Machine in Anchorage, but I do know that they are hiring and they have a conventional and CNC department. They would probably be the best bet for a job here.

There are machinist jobs here. They're everywhere, really.

Take care,
Mitch

Well i might have to check into that, I'm on year 2 of a 4 year journeyman apprenticeship, just couldn't walk away from it at this point. But I have been up there twice now and still dream bout going back.

Back