Why do people still buy stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the 261 is a boat anchor, I have to agree with you there. The 50cc Poulan Pro would have to be the ultimate boat anchor in the 50cc class though, good grief could they make those things any heavier? I think my 262 XP is lighter than one of those things. I have rebuilt and sold several 55s and 350s, and have worked on/ran about every 50cc class saw built in the last 10 years. The ultimate IMHO would have to be the OE 346 XP but we can't all be lucky enough to own/afford one. I got my 026 for $100.00 and it has been a good saw for the last five years.

Joe

No the 261 is a boat anchor, I have to agree with you there. The 50cc Poulan Pro would have to be the ultimate boat anchor in the 50cc class though, good grief could they make those things any heavier? I think my 262 XP is lighter than one of those things. I have rebuilt and sold several 55s and 350s, and have worked on/ran about every 50cc class saw built in the last 10 years. The ultimate IMHO would have to be the OE 346 XP but we can't all be lucky enough to own/afford one. I got my 026 for $100.00 and it has been a good saw for the last five years.

Joe

i like me the OE 346, more then the NE actually. think i like my 550 more then both though.

I love running a 545/550XP or the JRed counterparts but I HATE with a flaming purple passion working on them. Probably mostly because for the most part it is warranty and I know I am getting screwed on the labor rate. But seriously, could they make it any harder to R&R a carb?!

Joe

I love running a 545/550XP or the JRed counterparts but I HATE with a flaming purple passion working on them. Probably mostly because for the most part it is warranty and I know I am getting screwed on the labor rate. But seriously, could they make it any harder to R&R a carb?!

Joe

i don't find them any harder to work on then the 346. everything comes out of there just like the 346. only difference is unplugging the module. i ran 6 tanks through my 550 today. mostly because it hasn't ran in a while as i don't have much use for a 50cc saw but i can't bring myself to send it down the road.

Why is the guy in your videos always running for his life and laughing like a jackass?

Great post Clint. You tell that jackass cull! LOL I'll be the first one to back you up! John will have to get golickit to back him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting discussion.
I had my heart set on a husky 550xp but there were no dealers near by who seemed to give a shizz to even be open on a weekend for me to buy one.

So I went to the local stihl bloke and bought a 261cm instead. They gave me great service and I love the saw.

So that's why I bought a stihl. The 550 is a better saw but I couldn't find anyone local to sell me one.

I grew up with husky saws, and I inherited that condition... I was given an 028WB, and though I haven't put it in wood yet, I might just like it.. why? it feels more like a husky than any older stihl. Older stihls are a misery to work on.. like the 056.. grrrr

I think quality of workmanship is similar between husky and stihl, with most internals being made by Mahle anyhow.

Stihl made some great saws that built their reputation : the 044, 036, 066... They had some good/great follow ups: the ms200t, ms361, ms661. They have a great dealer network and for loggers that only know how to bang out an air filter, or tree services that spend their time cutting instead of fixing, dealer support is key. For homeowners that like fixing their own tools (or can't afford to or don't want to have to go through a service shop it is less meaningful.

Stihl is sort of like Rolex: they built their reputation for quality and are expensive and generally the product offering is good, but there are better products for less money out there. Stihl, like Rolex, seems to be riding on their laurels, not innovating, and relying on their brand recognition status to hold market share. There are some great older (used) Stihl saws, but I don't see anyone raving about the new stuff in comparison to the old stuff. If that trend continues, the writing is on the wall.

Back