Why I hate heating with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I used to keep my house cool - 68 at best during the day and 60 at night. When I was single it was 62 during the day and 55 at night. I thought I really liked it cool but realized I really only liked low heating bills. Don't get me wrong, I still like it cool at night but during the day I like it warm. We keep the thermostat set at 74 during the day and the owb does an awesome job. So now that I'm used to that warmth, I enjoy walking around in a t shirt and no socks. So what I hate about heating with wood is most of my friends and families homes are cold. When I visit, I feel like I'm all bundled up to stay warm. Anyone else encounter this?

Me too man. I see you are in NJ as well. We certainly get all 4 seasons. I've always hated the cold but I really hate it now because I'm used to the house being warmer than it would be if the furnace was on.

The funny thing is that everyone who comes here loves the wood heat. They love how warm it is. Go to their house and the thermostat is set at 68. I can't stay warm at 68 unless I'm bundled up a little. 70 is ok but gets cold for 10 minutes or so before the furnace kicks on.

Then again if I loved to Alaska I'd enjoy it 68 degrees within a few years

I used to keep my house cool - 68 at best during the day and 60 at night. When I was single it was 62 during the day and 55 at night. I thought I really liked it cool but realized I really only liked low heating bills. Don't get me wrong, I still like it cool at night but during the day I like it warm. We keep the thermostat set at 74 during the day and the owb does an awesome job. So now that I'm used to that warmth, I enjoy walking around in a t shirt and no socks. So what I hate about heating with wood is most of my friends and families homes are cold. When I visit, I feel like I'm all bundled up to stay warm. Anyone else encounter this?
JR, I had the same problem growing up. Our house was 65ish. It what my parents liked. When I went to visit my friend, his house was 80! The family put in an OWB at some point and the house was then a normal 70! My friend now has a OWB of his own and the house is 72 with hot water.

We keep our thermostat at 66 year round. My wife likes to keep it cold-when she was pregnant we kept the thermostat at 62 all winter. I don't mind a warmer family room but need cooler temps to sleep. At the same point when I get home from work I jump into flannel pants or sweats and a sweatshirt with some good slippers and I am plenty comfortable.

At the cabin we have hot water heat and keep main rooms at 70 and bedroom at 62.

Honestly the AC bills are much more painful to pay than heat.

Ya got a friend that keeps the place at about 62, His better half always has a down vest on from about Oct. 1 till end of April. That's too cold for me when hanging around the house. I like it much better at about 70 in the main area, I am out in the weather quite a bit in the cold months though so I want to thaw out when I get home. I do not like the summer utility bills either but I need relief from the pollen and such as well as the high humidity. What I need is a wood fired minisplit - ya that would be great.

We have an indoor wood burner and the only down side is its can be a little bit dusty when getting ash out and bringing wood in. Never heard of an OWB until I came on here, pretty sure no one has one in Aus.
I haven't worn a jumper for something like 5 months and im looking forward to our southern hemisphere winter now.

70° - 71° here... I live barefoot and shirtless all winter... 72° is tolerable... 73° is too damn warm... at 74° the wife threatens to move out.
At night we let it cool down to 66° - 67°, anything warmer and it makes for a long sweaty night.
Even at 65° I feel no need to put on a shirt... but at 75° I ain't got no cloths left to take off.

wow, learn new stuff all de time around here, I gotz thermostat in the ratsun, but you guys have them in your houses? Wowzerz! If you have little kids, make sure you put a barrier to keep them away from the fanbelt....

can't agree more Jrider. The colder it gets outside, the warmer it gets in my house! Just turn up the thermostat and let the OWB do it's job. I too used to like it cool in the house, but now, I can not stand to be cold in the house. I don't mind it outside, but do not like it indoors.

68 is perfect. When I was single and no wood burner, I left it at 60-62. Lit a fire tonight. Got some nice weather coming so not sure how much wood I will be burnin.

My best friend from high school kept his college apartment at 58 to save money. He was an engineer and figured out he would save X dollars. Now that was downright uncomfortable.

First apartment with the wife we had apartments below us and on either side - filled mostly with orientals. We didn't need to use our own heat - they kept theirs so hot they heated us as well!

Now we live in a big drafty victorian house with no insulation. We keep it as warm as we can, but eventually we have to get the furnace going.

Read people can get use to the house at 59 an be comfortable . A lot of it is what you train your body to do, seen people with coats on when its 80 . For me this is real bad training parents hate me ware shorts an t shirt in winter . Want a bullet proof immune system ? Take on the heat an cold get hot go up in the attic get cold take off your coat . Be smart an don't over do this crazy stuff a few minutes is enough . I hate heating with wood too started in 81

Read people can get use to the house at 59 an be comfortable . A lot of it is what you train your body to do, seen people with coats on when its 80 . For me this is real bad training parents hate me ware shorts an t shirt in winter . Want a bullet proof immune system ? Take on the heat an cold get hot go up in the attic get cold take off your coat . Be smart an don't over do this crazy stuff a few minutes is enough . I hate heating with wood too started in 81
I agree you get used to whatever temp you hold your house at eventually.

When I get home from 10 days at deer camp I'm absolutely burning up at 66 degrees in the house as I've become accustomed to sitting outside for many days straight.

Ever notice how good food taste after a cold marathon ? After my first winter swim open a can of bake beans was on top oh the world on how great the beans were

we've got geothermal heated floors and i don't even know what they are at. i just know my house is cozy! costs pretty well nothing either.

Latest posts

Back