Wifi Controlled Thermostat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone use these? Thought it would be nice at my cabin for when I'm gone for extended periods. Can get things up to temp the morning I arrive but save money the rest of the time.

I have one and it works great. I set mine up to work with my OWB and lp furnace. I can monitor my house temp all day and if I'm gone for an extended period of time I can switch to lp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How are you switching from wood to LP
I picked up a Nest thermostat but have not put it in yet.
I've got the Honeywell WiFi. I've got it set up for 2 heating systems. If the boiler drops temp to much the aux (lp) kicks in. You can also just switch on lp (aux) if needed. I looked at doing the 2 thermostat way, but figured out how to make this work for me with just one stat.

They do need to have an internet connection to work remotely.

I do have wifi at my cabin.

I have "tri-fuel" at the cabin. Wood boiler, gas boiler, and duel fuel rate electric. Electric runs when I am gone unless the power co shuts it off in high demand times then gas kicks on. When I am home I run wood and gas will back up if water temp falls below a temperature of my setting.

I do have wifi at my cabin.

I have "tri-fuel" at the cabin. Wood boiler, gas boiler, and duel fuel rate electric. Electric runs when I am gone unless the power co shuts it off in high demand times then gas kicks on. When I am home I run wood and gas will back up if water temp falls below a temperature of my setting.
Sounds like a good set up. Get the WiFi stat and you'll no longer show up to a chilly cabin. Also with the WiFi stat you can set up email notifications. Say your heating system failed and the temp dropped below a set point or power failed.

I quickly read the title and thought it said "wife controlled thermostat" which now that I think about it is probably the truth in most homes. LOL
Why do you need to know what the temp is when you aren't there? In the old days we didn't have this option. I think we want too much information and one day we will have information overload and our brains will fry and pop. It amazes me the technology we have at our fingertips compared to just 15 years ago. :)

I quickly read the title and thought it said "wife controlled thermostat" which now that I think about it is probably the truth in most homes. LOL
Why do you need to know what the temp is when you aren't there? In the old days we didn't have this option. I think we want too much information and one day we will have information overload and our brains will fry and pop. It amazes me the technology we have at our fingertips compared to just 15 years ago. :)
It doesn't matter to me if it reports the current temp, I just want to be able to crank it up 6 hours before we get there. Ma and I can bundle up but the kids don't do so well going to bed in a 50 degree bedroom.

i use a honeywell also. it works good. i have heatpump.
i can use my edenpure heater during the evenings when home, which i turn off when going to work.
then when i get ready to leave work i can kick on the furnace and warm the house before i get home.
this allows me to keep my heat bill down to $90.00 a month.:happybanana:

I've got the Honeywell WiFi. I've got it set up for 2 heating systems. If the boiler drops temp to much the aux (lp) kicks in. You can also just switch on lp (aux) if needed. I looked at doing the 2 thermostat way, but figured out how to make this work for me with just one stat.

Is the one you have?

image.png

There are 4 different versions of the Honeywell read about all 4 before buying.

I have Nests in my house and I'm not all that happy with them. For their claim on being smart they hardly are. I've had them come on or shut off at random!
I normally heat with wood but I have the Nests on my natural gas boiler for the floor heat. About a month ago I needed to empty the stove so I shut it down for a few days and just fired up the floor heat. Woke up one morning and it was about 60* in the house. Stupid thing decided that no one was around apparently.
Two or three times last year I came home with the boiler running full pull and the thermostats set to 80*, just out of the blue.

I have 4 of them, 3 zones in the house and 1 in the garage. I am only able to keep the garage at 45* if I make the thermostats go to "away mode". If I turn the heat on in the house, it automatically sets the garage to 50*, can't go lower.

It's a pain to even see what the temp is in the room, have to wave your hand in front of the thing sometimes 5 or 6 times for it to come on. Other times it comes on out of the blue. It woke me up one night (it's pretty bright in a pitch dark room). For a second I thought it was an intruder with a flashlight and I drew my 1911!

I have 3 of the Honeywell thermostats at work. They work very well. The online menu is very easy to operate.

Well so far I'm quite happy with this unit.

I had an old Mercury type Honeywell thermostat so the project included my wife running into town to the hardware store to pick up additional wire so we could run an auxiliary power supply. Once that was done things hooked up quickly and the online setup was very fast.

The only gripe was the installation videos referred to in the setup manual were NLA on Honeywell's site. A quick google search gave me the wiring information I needed.

We turn the heat way down when we are out of town for extended periods so it will be nice to come home to a warm house now.

image.jpeg

Back