Wild cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcbw69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stumbled upon a large wild cherry tree that uprooted in a recent storm and was wondering how this stuff cuts. I have a chainsaw mill and some woods dull my chain quicker than others. Would this be an issue with black cherry?

Here is a pile of 5/4 that has been seasoning a while
That’s a nice pile
I’ve heard it takes less time to season than some other woods
What’s the drying time on 5/4?
Does it shrink a lot?
I was planning on using a lot of it for cabinet making and ripping it to 5/4 then planing it down to 3/4 stock after it dries

This is one of many I have to process, it's approximately 22" wide and 96" long, cut at 9/4.

Attachments

• 1st cherry slab.jpg
    1st cherry slab.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 20
Looking good!
Here’s my first rip into log #1
Running an 066 with a 42 inch bar and ripping chain on a 48” Alaskan mill
Log is About 6’ x 30” diameter
Hit a nail in the bark as soon as I started cutting and barley got through my first cut so had to call it a day
Just waiting for my new chain to come in the mail so I can get back to work on it

Attachments

• 460DDB63-36E3-4C06-B4AA-BC9C9202C24C.jpeg
    460DDB63-36E3-4C06-B4AA-BC9C9202C24C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
That’s a nice pile
I’ve heard it takes less time to season than some other woods
What’s the drying time on 5/4?
Does it shrink a lot?
I was planning on using a lot of it for cabinet making and ripping it to 5/4 then planing it down to 3/4 stock after it dries
Doing custom cabinet work you are going to need it dry and stable. The old rule of thumb for air drying was a year per inch of thickness. After getting it down to working size, I think I'd stack it somewhere in the house you are building the cabinets for to let it acclimate more. I made a set of work benches out of Fir for my wife's potting shed.I milled them one weekend and built the benches the next. I had to cut straight edges on them to get the width I wanted. The joints were tight enough you could hardly see them. Now, several years later, you can see day light through them, but a dime won't fit between them.
OkG9B2L.jpg

Hey Tater_51
Have a look at BobL posts on sharpening, A nail should piss you off and set you back some time but get the ol file out and have at er. For my bigger milling stuff I can usually go 2-3 good cuts then handfile . Do this three times and I then swap out the chain.

Hey Tater_51
Have a look at BobL posts on sharpening, A nail should piss you off and set you back some time but get the ol file out and have at er. For my bigger milling stuff I can usually go 2-3 good cuts then handfile . Do this three times and I then swap out the chain.
Yep, I get about 3 good cuts on Oak and you can feel the saw slowing. You could keep pushing, but why, it just needs a few swipes to refresh the edge.

Kimo's right on there with those tips.
Get a couple chains and learn to sharpen them. That way you wont really interupt your work for too long. (3 chains are even better in case you mess one up on like say, a nail.
BobL lives in Austaralia and has a lot of milling experience with some very hard and challengine woods and we all consider him a CSM Guru here.
He s a nice 'bloke' too and will usually answer any questions on milling you ask, beginner or expert.
Good luck and let's see those milling pics and what you end up building with the wood too.

Back