Wild Thing Doesn't Survive This

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a good explosive story.

I was 16 and my dad wanted a stump removed in the back yard so we could put in a flower garden. After about 10 min. with the ax on that stump I had to get a better idea. I was an avid re-loader so I went to the hardware store and bought a pound of black powder and 6 foot of cannon fuse. It must have took a couple of hours to dig a hole to reach under the root system of that tree. Anyway, packed in the can under the stump, popped a small hole in the lid and inserted the fuse. Packed in all the dirt with the fuse sticking out of the ground. Lite the fuse and ran behind the trees in the garden. From where I was standing I could see the sun reflect off the windows in the house which was about 30 yards away from the stump. I remember this big thunderous compressive boom and watching the windows in my house nearly shatter as they vibrated violently. The stump blew straight up in the air. Main part got very small. Pieces began falling like rain and then the main part fell. The funny part was walking up to the hole just after and seeing the dark black smoke filling the hole with the roots sticking up out of the hole. The smoke hung on for a while. I did not really think about how dangerous this situation really was at the time.

Well Dad came home. To get the full effect my dad is super cool headed 99% of the time. I thought he would be somewhat impressed with that big hole and absence of the stump. He walked up, looked in and said "What the FU#$ happened here. Then he walked away. I do not ever remember explaining the situation to him but I must have. He reminds me of it in the most opportune times. :)

Too bad the long term memory lasts the longest.

Took 3 IED's in Iraq. They were the biggest explosions I ever delt with. The funniest was when the Amish mill forgot the measuering device they use to blow logs in half. They poured in 3/4 pound of FFG in to a bore cut start. Fused it, stuffed it, and lit it up. When it went off their buggy was gone due to half of the log giving it a ride. Good thing the horses were unhitched and tied to the other side of the hill. It was about 10 above zero that day. They tied their horse to the truck and had to ride in back the whole way home. Only about 20 mi.

Ray

OK, I guess you could get one of these situations:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_t44siFyb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_t44siFyb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Long story short after 3 cans of either and 50 lbs of tators the damn thing finally got hit enough that all was broke (gas/oil, all plastics, and we even managed to majorly crack the cylinder) its amazing how much damage potatoes will do when you been drinking, especially when your idiot buddy parks his truck behind the saw and overshots lol. Ford front peices are cheap broke the grill and drivers headlight along with bent radiator fins in one shot

You are a complete moron who is not worth the air you're breathing.

You are a complete moron who is not worth the air you're breathing.

I guess it must be true, I've heard that it takes one to know one!
Are you having trouble in school Rex???
You seem to have become particularly acerbic lately.
Do you need a big ol' group hug????

Mike

Some of you guys gotta relax a little.
Spudguns are fun, but I never used one to dismantle stuff. :bowdown:

Ain't nuthin wrong with alittle destructive, drunken, friday nights. Sounded like fun, if ya ask me.:givebeer:

Me and some buddys, used to build them. My only problem is, I can't stand being out done (his shot farther than mine) I built me one outa steel pipe. Barrel was 2-1/2" sch 20 pipe (if memory serves me right) combustion chamber was 4" sch 40 pipe. i used a 2" brass screw in plug, to load propellent, but i found, hairspray, ether, mapp woudn't work. I guess do to the fact the steel absorbed it, I dunno. So, I started playin with acetylene & oxygen. Man, that's the ticket, only problem was I couldn't use spuds anymore, do to the fact it would "vaporize" it. About like OP's story, Got bored while drinkin one night, when I noticed my Coors Original can, fit perfect in the barrel!! So I filled the empty can with some sand, cleared the chamber with some oxy, from my torch, then shot some acetylene in. I shot my 55 gallon drum, I use to burn trash, at roughly 15 yards. HOLY :censored::jawdrop: it punched a side ways can shape, right through one side. I had lots of fun with it, till I moved on to black powder. Here's several being fired, that I've made over the years.

Here's what happens when you load a cannon that handles (handled) 12oz of Pyrodex regularly with no problem with Accurate 4350 powder (I can't remember how much)

A buddy brought some powder that he got and I saw what it was and the guy who made the cannon and myself immediately said NO! I told him he could use my Pyrodex but that smokeless powder would not go in the cannon, explained why and he said ok.

Later on things were quiet, just sitting around the campfire with a beer and we heard a BOOM! and went running, it was a much different sound than normal and we kinda knew what happened.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I spent the better part of my teenage years perfecting patato gun design. I have built arrows with metal fins that were darn acurate at 100 yards, put steel balls through both sides of 55 gallon steel drums, put golf balls through 4 sheets of plywood, shot cows with the cow barrel...speared just about every sign in the neihbor hood with arrows. but never destroyed a perfectly fine chainsaw. Geez you must of been more than a "little drunk"

As i stated in page one, the saw was toast because i let my buddy try to muffler mod it and he didnt adjust the carb therefore toasting the engine. Had the saw been in good shape i probably wouldnt have done it. And i would never do it to a quality stihl if it was running or not but c'mon wildthings are just made to abuse. And for everyone not understanding why it was fun think of this, i am from the boondocks, closest town has a population of 550 people, and its wisconsin that should explain alot i mean we are the drunkest state and we know how to have fun.

o and fyi im not phillipino or any other latino heritage im white (85% german 15% american indian to be exact)

Back