Wildland fire gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally sounds worth the trouble to stop fires from eating the coast up. :dizzy:

Everyone is hoping things will be better than what I posted here but all of these things came down from official Cal Fire sources. The union is really strong and the source of many of the problems. They want more Cal Fire employees and fewer contractors while the rest of the world is going the other way. In addition Cal Fire firefighters and officers are getting younger and they have no appreciation for experience really want to reinvent the wheel.

Maybe but you guys know that a loose fit and air space is where the protection really comes from.

Agreed. Plus, all that time you're NOT getting directly exposed to radiant heat, you ARE subject to heat stress.

Yep, and my thing is, you should be taking measures ahead of time to avoid flame contact or intense radiant heat.

you should be taking measures ahead of time to avoid flame contact or intense radiant heat.

Funny how that common-sense type of reasoning is conspicuously absent from most training. It seems that "worst-case" is the only scenario worth mentioning. I guess we're just supposed to figure out the rest on our own.

I'd be glad to send you my Bullard, but it is over 5 years old and would need a new liner plus it has marking paint all over it. It has girl cooties on it. I lost the helicopter chin strap too.

The hat still flexes and was kept out of the sun except in August when the sun appears.

If you want to risk it, PM me.

My other stuff was out of date and I gave it back. It was also round people sized.

Last edited:
How do the pants fit compared to blue jeans? Go with normal size?

I've finally got money set aside for a pair. We've got 9 more burns scheduled where I work, they'll more than pay for themselves after that.

How do the pants fit compared to blue jeans? Go with normal size?

I've finally got money set aside for a pair. We've got 9 more burns scheduled where I work, they'll more than pay for themselves after that.

My Kevlar/Nomex pants fit fine in the waist but were longer than I expected. I can't remember the brand off hand.

For others who are in the market for wildland gear, specifically pants, click here to read a write up and see a comparison chart on the different fabrics used.

sorry, but I don't have any gear in your size. If you do end up purchasing some stuff, I have only seen (not used/worn) gear from Coaxsher and it appears to be quality! I don't know if its worth the extra benjamins over some other lines of gear (true north, etc.)- but their stuff appears solid.

I've heard that the FS spec'd chaps can be hard to come by- like only available through GSA. That might not be the case, but if it is, try and connect with a local volunteer FD (access to GSA) and have someone make the purchase for you. Once you're a contractor, do you have the authorization to purchase via GSA?
NEVERMIND- was looking up the catalog to post the link 2013 Wildland Fire Equipment Catalog . "It is also available to other nonfederal organizations operating under written agreements with the U.S. Forest Service."

...serious destruction of quality stuff ... All of which could have been auctioned, but would have added to the budget, which would have cut the next years budget due to surplus, and you can't have surplus, because you need the same size budget

I heard from a rather reliable source that during the Iraq war, transatlantic carriers were dumping damaged (not destroyed) US Military equipment (helo's, humvees, tanks, etc.) into the ocean for similar reasons- not to mess with the budgets bottom line. Apparently it was equipment that was repairable/had usable parts.

sorry, but I don't have any gear in your size. If you do end up purchasing some stuff, I have only seen (not used/worn) gear from Coaxsher and it appears to be quality! I don't know if its worth the extra benjamins over some other lines of gear (true north, etc.)- but their stuff appears solid.

I've heard that the FS spec'd chaps can be hard to come by- like only available through GSA. That might not be the case, but if it is, try and connect with a local volunteer FD (access to GSA) and have someone make the purchase for you. Once you're a contractor, do you have the authorization to purchase via GSA?
NEVERMIND- was looking up the catalog to post the link 2013 Wildland Fire Equipment Catalog . "It is also available to other nonfederal organizations operating under written agreements with the U.S. Forest Service."

Here is a link to chaps. These are the ones I have.PGI 5-Ply Para-Aramid Chain Saw Chaps

Sorta loosely connected, I've been looking for a couple of them Indian fire pump back back squirt gun deals, Too cheap to buy em new, anybody got one or two they'd be willing to get rid of cheap? Vinyl, steel, or plastic cans are ok by me.

Back