Will a Forestry Mulcher Work Here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkbird305

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this needed to be here or in the forestry section. Mods, please feel free to move it if need be.

I have about 50 acres of hilly/mountainous land that I would like to clear off for grass/pasture. It was logged at some point in the past so it is mostly trees 4" in size with a few up to 8" in size. All hardwood and very thick in the summer.

My question has more to do with the rocks on the surface. Under the leaf layer there isn't much topsoil, but a lot of dolstone (I think. I am not a geologist). There is still enough dirt there to grow grass in most spots, but I'm worried it wouldn't be healthy for the mulcher head or it's teeth. Could I just run it a few inches off the ground and not mix the mulch with the soil?

I plan to run a Kubota SVL95 with Fecon head since there is a dealer nearby. Plus I can use the CTL for other chores on the land.

Attached is a picture of part of the land with the leaves out of the way. This is one of the worse spots. Most of the rest of the land has more dirt mixed in.

Attachments

• Rocks.jpg
    Rocks.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 12
Back