Will it Burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are cutting down a river birch and I was just wondering whether it will burn decently or not? Thanks

True, all dry wood WILL burn, but the higher density (more lbs/cu ft) woods generally provide a more consistent burn and heat output. Although Balsa will burn, if there were alternatives it would not be my first choice. I'm going to be burning a good bit of Sycamore this next heating season. It's not as dense as Oak or Hickory and so will require a bit more volume to last the season, but once its dry it will burn well and provide a good stable heat source.

We are cutting down a river birch and I was just wondering whether it will burn decently or not? Thanks

River Birch is good firewood if dried right. Every piece needs split, even 3 inch rounds because the bark is so air tight it will start rotting in the center if not opened up. I believe it has a higher btu rating then cherry, not much less then pin oak. It is faster burning then the oaks but throws a lot of heat.
Bad results burning birch is usually cause it wasn't dried and seasoned right.

Click Test

Something I do is to take a couple of sticks of whatever type of wood there is and strike them together. If they make a nice crisp "click" the wood's probably OK to burn in your stove. Stay away from anything that makes a thud. It's either rotten or has such a low density that it will just smolder giving unpredictable heat output.

I Had one in my pasture where the horses ate the bottom bark off and killed it. I took it down and split it up, then mixed it in with the other wood I burn. sometimes burning it exclusivley and it was fine. Now they are debarking a black Locust:chainsaw: it'll be down and split once they are done...I guess they don't like shade...

Latest posts

Back