Will my tree come out of this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimesc

Reaction score
We purchased a home in a new subdivision last summer. The builder had extensively bulldozed the entire area, as it was a dense woodland. We purchased a lot with a large backyard that wasn't cleared as thoroughly as the rest of the lots. After clearing the brush and removing some damaged trees, we were left with a few nice trees. One of them is a very large oak tree that was doing well in the wet summer we had last year. August arrived and our neighbor decided that his lot wasn't flat enough and bulldozed some more, and then the rain stopped. His bulldozing was pretty extensive and, since the oak was close to the property line, it's roots were likely hit pretty hard. We fertilized it and tried watering it, despite our efforts our oak tree went brown in a matter of a few days. We anxiously awaited spring to see no leaves or buds on the oak. May and June have shown four small lush limbs on the bottom 15 feet of the tree. Upper limbs are still barren. This tree has had so much trauma in the last year that we are wondering if it will come out of this or not. A friend suggested having it topped, but that seems unwise to us. We don't want to give up on it and remove it either if there is a chance that it will recover. I could really use some advise from someone who has some experience with this.....

Best advice is to get an Arborist on site to investigate grimesc, for a tree to decline that fast does not hold too much hope especially after severely interfering with it’s natural growing environment of woodland to urban landscape.

The roots were killed, then the tree died. Last year's lush leaves were made from juice stored in the bark.

The roots were killed, so the rest of the tree died. If you ever build a house again, don't let idiots on machines kill the roots of your trees, or they will die.

It usually takes at least 3 reps to get it sunk in...

Thanks for the replies. I have been watching this tree and hoping for the best. Looks like I need to call a tree service this fall..... I had hope when the new growth on the trunk appeared late this spring. It appears that it was just a teaser. I'd been unable to locate an arborist in my area, so was hoping that you all would have some advice. I thank you for your help!!!

I live in Midland. It is close to Columbus. Called a couple of people from the phone book, but they aren't in business anymore. Really didn't know where else to turn. Didn't think about the extension service. We've never owned a house before, let alone trees, so this is all new to us.

Back