Will this kill me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I know this subject has been covered many times in these forums but I am specifically interested in the actual rope I used. Here are my concerns:

The role it came off of said 100% nylon; 5/8"; 9,500lbs tensil strength; 950 Working Load.

1. Is all nylon the same. I mean I couldn't find anything on the role stating whether this rope is specified for climbing or not. I purchased two climbing lanyards several months ago and as far as I can tell that rope and the one pictured below is identical.

2. If this nylon is not good for climbing, where can i get purchase some without having to buy a 100ft at a time. There is a whole bunch of nylon on Ebay but it mainly says its for marine use.

note:I know the splices aren't exactly perfect but this was my first time :msp_smile:

View attachment 222586

View attachment 222587

Will it kill you the answer is maybe!

I would have to agree with Ax-Man, your splicing look good but as he said the rope has a sheen and I would be VERY concerned if it was really soft anp plyable. That would be an indicator its a 3 srand for marine or farm type use(halters, lead rope etc) and surly not intended to be used as you intend. Granted it will probably work but there are so much better rope choices out there.

My first choice would be 5/8 th or 9/16th double braid(rope in a rope) and only one ring in each side with a ring spliced into( or an eye to eye texex prusik with carabiner) a tenex prusik. This would be for adjustability and a better fit for each application/tree.

Your rings look like they are certified and thats GOOD. There is a lot of junk out there not rated for what you intend. The example is of the Kong ring that failed. Also my Weaver Cougar saddle was recalled because of faulty/uncertified rings. Make sure they have a CE rating or some sort of ID etching as being approved and rated.

I would stay away from 16 strand rope because of the way it splices and for what your intended use is for. You could use a 1/2in double braid if you want a 1/2 in friction saver. It would be lighter and slightly down graded from working load limits.

I have several of different sizes for differant applications, with similar slings(woopie and loopy) for use to rig in a tree. I just make sure they never ger mixed up. You never want to use a rigging device/sling or whatever as a climbing/life support device because of the loads and shockloads rigging devices are subject to. NEVER, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER.

Latest posts

Back