Wilting transplanted redbud tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esther Horwich

Reaction score
I recently replaced a newly planted but dying forest pansey redbud (according to the nurseryman, they had planted it too deep and this was the reason for its failure) with a new 10 foot forest pansey redbud. The tops of three branches of the new tree were wilting when it was transplanted and there were brown spots on many of the leaves. I was told that the wilting was due to the tree being on the truck for 7 hours and that it would perk up upon watering. It did somewhat, but the leaves on the tops of the three branches died. The tree has been in the ground for five days. Leaves on the tops of two more branches have died. I have about four weak but surviving tops of branches left. The nursery man told me that this was due to the shock of transplanting the tree and that I should cut off the tops of the dead branches to help the tree. Does this sound correct to you? I have just started to water the tree every day (instead of every other day). I do not think that the tree is overwatered. The remaining leaves look floppy and they have lost nearly all of their purple color. Color change is supposedly normal for a red but this much change seems excessive. Help!!!:confused:

First, control your urge to water so much. Your tree needs about 15 gal. per week and this is best done by a deep, lon soaking. Take an old 5 gal pail and punch a hole in the side near the bottom and place it next to the tree and fill 3 times. This provides the correct amount over a longer period and soaks in at the roots.

Leave your stems intact for now, we will wait to see if sprouting will happen along these stems. If they are truely dead there will be no green tissue just under the bark. You can check with your finger nail because redbuds have very thin bark.

I hope this tree was not planted to deep as well? Also, redbuds are suceptable to verticillum wilt and I hope that was not the cause for the other one dying. The wilt disease is soil borne so it is tough to deal with.

Good Luck

If your forest pansy (I happen to like them!) makes it through this initial shock, and I agree, verticilium is a concern, remember that redbud do like a high (7.5) pH. Have you checked this? Also, they do like the organic matter to be on the high side as well.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Gopher

Latest posts

Back